LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 11/02/2009

Are you familiar with LabVIEW design patterns?  Using a well-known design pattern for your application in LabVIEW can decrease your coding time, and decrease your maintenance time.  LabVIEW ships with several design pattern templates that you can access from the File > New... dialog:

file_new.png

Some of the most common patterns include Producer/Consumer, Master/Slave, Queued Message Handler, and of course, the ever-popular State Machine.  For more details about standard LabVIEW design patterns, check out this LabVIEW Application Design Patterns presentation.  It's a few years old at this point, but still very relevant.

And what about programming with LabVIEW Classes?  There are many object-oriented design patterns that are applicable to LabVIEW Class programming.  For more information, check out this document on the LabVIEW Community website.

Message Edited by Support on 11-02-2009 12:24 PM
Message 1 of 9
(6,519 Views)

Using a well-known design pattern for your application in LabVIEW can increase your coding time,

yikes!

Message 2 of 9
(6,503 Views)

Hah, that's what I get when I try to rush these things out before lunch.  Admin has been notified...thanks for the catch.  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(6,495 Views)
Long ago, a student here was describing the purpose of signal averaging as a way to decrease the signal to noise ratio. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(6,404 Views)

Haven't we all lots of others made that mistake sometimes also?

Shane

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(6,395 Views)

For a beginner, learning design patterns might indeed increase code developing time on short term.

Felix

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(6,365 Views)

When I'm asked about tips to learn LabVIEW, I recommend looking at the templates.

Having said that, I wish the NI people would improve the templates. When I took the CLD exam, I started with a template and spent too much time molding it to look like my template.

Opinion? When you took the exam, was a native template of use to you?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(6,311 Views)

gchristi1 wrote:

Having said that, I wish the NI people would improve the templates. When I took the CLD exam, I started with a template and spent too much time molding it to look like my template.

Opinion? When you took the exam, was a native template of use to you?

When I took the CLD exam, I did not use any of the shipping templates.  What specific changes would you recommend to make the NI templates better?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,303 Views)

I am less than 1yr into my education in LabVIEW, and was fortunate to attend a Developer Ed Day back in April where the Design Patterns presentation was given. Back at the office, just a few weeks later, I was trying to solve a particular problem which suddenly struck me as being an appropriate application for a State Machine, and I knew exactly where to go for the How-To. Using the bundled template,and the Manual notes, it was up and working very quickly.

Thanks NI, for the packaged patterns, and for the free Dev Ed Days !

Dick Young

Product Engineer

Maxim Integrated Products

Message 9 of 9
(6,194 Views)