LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 09/27/2010

Cool LabVIEW 2010 Features Part VII:  View Cluster Constant as Icon

Do you ever resize cluster constants so that they don't take up so much room?  And if those cluster constants are strict type defs, are you ever annoyed when you change something about the source type def, and all those shrunken constants explode again?  I've dealt with this annoyance many times, so I'm very excited about this feature in LabVIEW 2010:

cluster_constant_icon.png

The "View Cluster As Icon" right-click menu option works with any diagram cluster constant.  If the constant is a type def or strict type def (as just about any cluster should be), then the icon of the typedef is displayed.  Otherwise, a generic cluster icon is displayed.  And if you want to see the cluster constant again so you can view/edit its values, just right-click and deselect the "View Cluster As Icon" option.

Message 1 of 19
(8,794 Views)

The fastest way to toggle between "Icon View" and "Detailed View" is by double-clicking on the border of the cluster constant, or double-clicking on the icon. I learned this great trick on accident - even though it's a documented shortcut!

Message 2 of 19
(8,754 Views)
Personally, if I am hiding a clustersaurus whose value I use, I am now more inclined to use a wrapper sub-VI set to inline (a very cool new feature). I am not happy with the BD explosion which occurs when switching views. I am starting to do all of my constants this way, including clusters. Am I missing something here?
Message 3 of 19
(8,728 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Personally, if I am hiding a clustersaurus whose value I use, I am now more inclined to use a wrapper sub-VI set to inline (a very cool new feature). I am not happy with the BD explosion which occurs when switching views. I am starting to do all of my constants this way, including clusters.

Yes, I agree that's bothersome. Check out a suggested fix, and also a comment on why inlining your own constants within SubVIs could become tedious.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(8,720 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:
Personally, if I am hiding a clustersaurus whose value I use, I am now more inclined to use a wrapper sub-VI set to inline (a very cool new feature). I am not happy with the BD explosion which occurs when switching views. I am starting to do all of my constants this way, including clusters. Am I missing something here?

I thought I was clever when I started making a Type Def of my cluster, which allows me to edit the Type Def without exploding the cluster in my BD.  The problem with this is that the label of the Cluster Icon is placed where the middle of an equivalent clustersaurus would be, expanding my structure when I finish editing the Type Def.  Grrrrrrr.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(8,687 Views)

Wow, thanks, Darren.

Usually I have created SubVI named "MyTypedefContainer.vi" for placing large cluster typedefs onto BD. Its not necessary any more. Great feature.

Andrey.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(8,633 Views)

I'd like to be able to change the cluster values without changing between iconified cluster and normal cluster. One way this could be implemented is to open up the typedef front panel inside a dialog on e.g. doubleclick and show the cluster values there.

Oh, I just read about doubleclicking the border. That would seem to do the trick too.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(8,618 Views)

It was about time!!!!!!!!!

Great.

Message 8 of 19
(8,604 Views)

Any Labview.ini lingo options assigned to this?

Diagram.ClusterTypeDefAsIcon=True ??

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 19
(8,521 Views)

@Stranman wrote:

Any Labview.ini lingo options assigned to this?

Diagram.ClusterTypeDefAsIcon=True ??

This is an editor feature that you can choose not to use simply by never selecting the right-click menu option.  So no, there aren't any INI tokens associated with it.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(8,520 Views)