LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 05/08/2006

In LabVIEW 7.x and previous, you can highlight multiple objects on your panel or diagram and press Ctrl-A to perform the last alignment operation you performed from the "Align Objects" button on the toolbar.  In LabVIEW 8.0 and later, pressing Ctrl-A now does a "Select All" operation on the panel or diagram.  This makes the Ctrl-A operation in LabVIEW more consistent with other applications.  For those of you missing the old Ctrl-A functionality for aligning objects in LabVIEW 8.0, don't worry.  It's still there, you just have to press Ctrl-Shift-A now.

-D

P.S. - Check out past nuggets here.
Message 1 of 10
(9,113 Views)
Aw Darren,

This nugget flies right past me.  I'm only using LV 6.1.

Still, the knowledge that there is the option to "select all" in LV 8 is good.  Just yesterday I had a VI which simply would not run, it crashed LV each and every time.  After copying the BD to another fresh VI, it worked.  I wished I had the "select all" option there.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(9,061 Views)
Nice !  Thanks  Darren !
By chance, may be you know about some hidden shortcut to align wires ?
Chilly Charly    (aka CC)

E-List Master - Kudos glutton - Press the yellow button on the left...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(9,057 Views)

@shoneill wrote:

Just yesterday I had a VI which simply would not run, it crashed LV each and every time.  After copying the BD to another fresh VI, it worked.  I wished I had the "select all" option there.

I don't know about 6.1, but in 7.0, this would only take a couple of property and invoke nodes using scripting stuff, so if you really need it again...

(9,050 Views)
Or why not just lasso the entire diagram?  Surely your diagram isn't *so* huge that this isn't a viable option?  If it is, might I suggest reading the LabVIEW Style Guide?  😉

-D
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(9,008 Views)
Yeah, I know,

sometimes there are those nasty Q&D bits of code which simply have to get done on the spot where I have to stand up and introduce myself as a space-aholic.  That, and the fact that I only have a 19" monitor (1024*1280) makes it really easy to run out of space going from left to right......

I do a lot of document processing, and I really need the portrait mode of my monitor.  This basically reduces me to the "good 'ol" days of 15" monitor screen real-estate.

So that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

As for scripting, I have zero experience with it.

And as for the LV style guide, yes I've read it, but I think I need a robotic arm to pick up a printed copy and slap me in the face with it every hour or so to prevent me from indulging in extravagant diagram expansion.

I think I read once that agoraphobia was the fear of open spaces, would this make me a virtual agoramaniac?

Shane.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,984 Views)

Shane wrote;

"....to prevent me from indulging in extravagant diagram expansion."

You are still LV 7.0, is that correct?

Have you seen the "Auto-Explode", ahem, I mean Auto-Grow option in LV 7.0 and above? You can now abuse the LV style guidelines without resorting to "ctrl-shift-drag". You think your diagram is "just right" then you re-name a control to include the units...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(8,977 Views)
Hi Ben,

nah, as my sig says: 6.1

Shane.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,968 Views)

As an addition to this nugget, for LabView 7.x Ctrl-D does a similar trick only it performs the last distribution operation performed from the "Distribute Objects" button.

/M.

CLA
www.dvel.se
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(8,942 Views)

@chilly charly wrote:
Nice !  Thanks  Darren !
By chance, may be you know about some hidden shortcut to align wires ?

An excellent question, I've wanted this numerous times myself.  I don't know of a way to do this though unfortunately.

On one hand it's good, because if you drag a selection around some stuff and want to top-align it all, you don't want all your wires smushed up along the top pixel of the selected region.  However, it seems like if only wires were selected, the operation could be applied to the wires.

Message 10 of 10
(8,925 Views)