LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Darren's Weekly Nugget 03/01/2010

Today I'm going to talk about the subroutine priority setting on VIs:

subroutine.png

According to the LabVIEW Help, "The Subroutine priority level permits a VI to run as efficiently as possible."  This is because a subroutine priority VI takes control of whatever thread is executing that VI, and does not release control until the VI is done executing.  For this reason, you cannot place nodes on a subroutine VI's diagram that might cause a wait to occur...you will get a broken run arrow on the subroutine VI if you try.

So when might you choose to set a VI to subroutine priority?   Typically it's for VIs that are doing a calculation, or perhaps searching a data set, and you want to make sure they execute as fast as possible.  Here's the diagram from one of my VIs that I have set to subroutine priority:

subroutine_example.png

In this code, the "Item Array in" control might have thousands, or tens of thousands, of items.  To ensure this VI completes the search as fast as possible, I have set it to subroutine priority.  Also, I have enabled reentrant execution on this VI (note the checkbox in the first screenshot) since I use this subVI in multiple places in my code.  In fact, I can't really think of any reason why a subroutine priority VI should *not* be reentrant...if you have deemed a VI worthy of subroutine priority, it wouldn't make sense to have multiple instances of that VI in your code waiting on each other to finish execution.

So if you're looking for ways to squeeze more performance out of your applications, one approach might be to use the VI Profiler to identify the VIs in your code that are taking the most time to execute, and seeing if setting them to subroutine priority makes them faster.

Message 1 of 23
(9,593 Views)

Darren wrote:

a subroutine priority VI takes control of whatever thread is executing that VI, and does not release control until the VI is done executing

Do multiple copies of a reentrant subroutine run in different threads?

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 23
(9,581 Views)

That's pretty interesting.  I need to explore the subroutine priority in the near future.

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(9,571 Views)

LabBEAN wrote:

Do multiple copies of a reentrant subroutine run in different threads?

I would assume that they have to, since they would be running in parallel, and subroutine VI instances have complete control over their own threads.  One way to double-check would be to use the Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit to monitor an app running multiple instances of a subroutine VI, and see if those instances get different thread IDs.  

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(9,558 Views)
One caveat to mention: the subroutine priority does turn off debugging, so make sure your code is golden before setting the priority.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(9,455 Views)
Subroutine priority also turns off a lot of the VI calling overhead.  This is because the compiler knows that the front panel does not need to be used at all.  It is nearly equivalent to inlining.  I have benchmarked a simple VI containing only a variant transform.  Turning on subroutine priority gave exactly the same performance as inlining the code (performance checked using the Windows performance counters).
Message 6 of 23
(9,419 Views)

In fact, I can't really think of any reason why a subroutine priority VI should *not* be reentrant...if you have deemed a VI worthy of subroutine priority, it wouldn't make sense to have multiple instances of that VI in your code waiting on each other to finish execution.

I can. Smiley Tongue

If we continue this Nugget on Sub-Routine priority the next leason involves right-clicking on an instance of the sub-Routine in a diagram.

Once a sub-routine is dropped on a diagram you can right-click and choose the option "Skip Subroutine Call If Busy". This option can be set for each instance.

How I used "Skip If Busy"

In RT apps where I need to be able to change parameter "on the fly" while keeping the Time Critical loop deterministic I'll use an Action Engine set as sub-routine with Skip if Busy enabled. When called and not bust the TC loop can read the parameters from the AE. If the AE is being updated (by a non-TC loop that is talking to the Windows machine) the AE will be skipped since it is busy.

Here is a post where Greg McKaskle talks about the Skip if Busy option.

Re: using the Sub-routine to make code run faster

Yes that is a legitimate use of sub-routine setting provided the subroutine is doing the most important thing the app has to do and you are comfortable with it dominating the CPU. If the sub-VI does not meet those requirements then hold-off on the sub-routine setting and include "zero-ms-wait" in your loops and let teh Scheduler worry about the process scheduling.

Solved? 

Ben

Message Edited by Ben on 03-02-2010 08:10 AM
Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 7 of 23
(9,402 Views)

Ben wrote: 

In RT apps where I need to be able to change parameter "on the fly" while keeping the Time Critical loop deterministic I'll use an Action Engine set as sub-routine with Skip if Busy enabled. When called and not bust the TC loop can read the parameters from the AE. If the AE is being updated (by a non-TC loop that is talking to the Windows machine) the AE will be skipped since it is busy.

After I wrote the nugget, I was doing some reading and discovered the time-critical loop (i.e. RT) use case.  However, I figured I would let somebody mention it who had actually done it.  Thanks, Ben.  🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(9,337 Views)

I have to say, these nuggets are great. Not just because the information from Darren is top-notch (it is), but the responses generate great discussion with more details which open eyes up to all the stuff labview can do that one would "want to know but never asked". Was that a run on sentence?

Message 9 of 23
(9,314 Views)

for(imstuck) wrote:

I have to say, these nuggets are great. Not just because the information from Darren is top-notch (it is), but the responses generate great discussion with more details which open eyes up to all the stuff labview can do that one would "want to know but never asked". Was that a run on sentence?

I'm glad you like them.  The #1 reason that I post these to the NI Forums as opposed to anywhere else is because we get the widest audience (and most familiar interface) for having follow-on conversations about the topics, which are sometimes more interesting and rich than the nuggets themselves.

Message 10 of 23
(9,302 Views)