From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSP KIt for Labview

Hello,
i need to develop customized distortiona analyzer preferebly using Labview DSP kit and some TI target board. I will highly appreciate if some one who has experience of LV DSP development, can answer:
1) can the large LV application will fit in few hudred KB of Flash on board ?
2) How much precision can be achived ? is this setup suitable for wiritng professional DSP code ?
3) Is it better to use Fixed point DSP or the floating point one for wide band precision audio processing ?

Thanks
-Ahmed
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,585 Views)
Hello Ahmed,

I have attempted to answer your questions below:

1) can the large LV application will fit in few hundred KB of Flash on board?

It depends on your definition on "large". Most signal processing applications rely on taking in a frame (or array) of data, manipulating that array in some way, and passing it out again as quickly as possible so that the next frame can be processed. In the applications that I have built or seen, the size of the array is what decides weather or not the VI will fit on the DSP and/or keep up with real time. If you can tolerate relatively small frame sizes (let's say 128 samples or less), you should be fine, but there will be an eventual limit.

2) How much precision can be achieved ? Is this setup suitable for writing professional DSP code ?

The code that is produced is professional quality. Precision should not be an issue. The only hesitation with recommending LabVIEW DSP in a professional application is that the code can only be run on 1 of 3 evaluation boards. If you wish to move to any form of custom hardware, then you need to move to LabVIEW Embedded Development Module. If you are okay with deploying on one of the three evaluation boards, though, LabVIEW DSP should be fine.

3) Is it better to use Fixed point DSP or the floating point one for wide band precision audio processing ?

All of the LabVIEW DSP supported targets are floating point parts. We recommend this, and most of the LabVIEW analysis library is built on floating point math, so a hardware FPU will offer much higher performance.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,
P.J.
Message 2 of 3
(2,564 Views)
helo P.J,
that was very helpful. thanks so much for your comments.
Regards
-Salman
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,559 Views)