LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSC Module: Programmatically Configure Data Set Marking Server?

Solved!
Go to solution

Here's an ancient post posing the same question with a definitive "NO" answer: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/DSC-Create-Data-Set-Marking-Server-Programmatically/td-p/820792

I'm hoping something has changed since 2008, given that the modern DSC documentation speaks of grouping data in sets with no disclaimers that feature set only works on statically defined variables (that would be pretty limiting). I'm about to venture off onto my next DSC code-and-test adventure but would love to know that this is at least possible. (Data Marking Server appears to support bound variables, which I suspect is the way to my desired end.)

Positive or negative confirmation--heck, even an "I think this should work" from an NI applications engineer--would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ethan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,442 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EthanStern

I have personally only worked with DataSet Marking once, but I couldn't find anything that would indicate this is possible. I'm not absolutely certain but there is a DataSets palette in DSC which doesn't have any configure or write functions, and there don't seem to be any relevant VIs in the Historical or Variables and I/O Servers palettes. I also did a quick search through past service requests, forums, and internal escalations but didn't find anything indicating it could be done.

If someone does know how to do this I would like to hear how though.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,392 Views)

Thanks, Matt. I came to the same conclusion. I have a solution that will work reasonably well, just as long as I also write a retrieval tool. I'm using a marking server and its new fabricated companion variable to define the start and stop of a test run and using those start and stop times to programmatically retrieve the desired traces. I thought I would give the DSC Module its fair chance, but I'm less than impressed with the half-baked implementation.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,389 Views)