LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMA FIFO or Front panel communication

Hi everyone,

I'm making a LabVIEW project with communication between a PC and a cRIO.

The communication between my PC and real-time controller is realised with a network stream in a message/command structure.

But now I have to send some fixed point data from the real-time controller to the FPGA.

Based on the command from the user, there are 3 different groups of 4 fixed point values to be sent( The parameters of 3 PI-controllers = Kp, I, max value, min value ). On the FPGA I only need the latest values.

Is it better to use a DMA-FIFO with an extra fixed point at the start to indicate what group of data is sent? Otheways the FPGA doesn't know what PI-controller to update.

Or should I just use front panel communication to do this?  

Thanks,

Matthias

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,602 Views)

For expandability reasons, I would use the DMA.  That way if you need to add another set to the FPGA, your RT will see little to no change.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,594 Views)

And when I use the DMA, should I use a starting Fixed point number to signalise what PI-controller needs to be updated or is there another way?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,591 Views)

The extra number would be the simplest way.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 4
(2,587 Views)