From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLL Loading Error for non-admin user ID

When running with a user ID that has admin privileges, our sequence is able to load the required DLL and all the DLL's that it depends on.  When running as a user ID that has "Power Users" privileges, the sequence fails with the "failed to load DLL" error.  I have run the DEPENDS.exe from the Visual C++ installation and every DLL that the initial DLL requires is in a directory specified in the PATH environment variable for the Power User ID.  In fact, the PATH is identical for the admin user and Power User.  I also gave full authority to all the DLL's required for the Power User.  Have also tried adding the paths to the various DLL locations to the TestStand DLL search paths, but from what I have read, doing that will make no difference since the subsequently loaded DLLs are searched for in the Windows path and not the TestStand search paths.   Still receive the same error no matter what I do.

I have not tried copying all the DLLs into the same directory as the initial DLL, since I assumed this must be a privilege issue and not a "finding" issue since the admin user can run the DLL just fine.

Is there any other way of determining why a DLL might not be loading successfully?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,467 Views)
Never fails -- 15 minutes after I posted this question I found the problem.  One of the DLLs in the chain was attempting to open a file that had been originally created by the admin user and had no privileges for the Power User.  The file was being used for debug information and we had forgotten that it was still using that file.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,464 Views)