LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIO Start.vi

Hi guys,

I am facing a problem here and I can't seems to troubleshoot where exactly is my problem is.

I am a program that reads a SN from a device, and it display it on screen to a PAM.

While reading and collecting data, this  screen on the PAM  blink once.

I didn't want it to blink, and I don't know why it is blinking. But I have narrowed down to where my problem is.

DIO Start.vi is where this is happening.

I believe this is a subvi by NI.

Does anyone have any suggestion on solving something like this?

my co-worker tells me that it was not blinking before till i moved from serial port RS232 to Visa Serial port. I don't know if that gotta do anything with it, but those are some information i have.

Message Edited by krispiekream on 02-11-2009 01:23 PM
Message Edited by krispiekream on 02-11-2009 01:25 PM
Best regards,
Krispiekream
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,371 Views)

a little more information, my PAM is connected to PCI-6534

Message Edited by krispiekream on 02-11-2009 01:37 PM
Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,361 Views)

Two questions.

1.  What is a "PAM"?

2.  How come the attached VI doesn't match your screenshot?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,354 Views)

A PAM is like a handheld device. A palm pilot or something.

here you go...

I have narrowed down to the subvi 

DIO_Start.vi

the screenshot I gave is  how that subvi was used and how i narrowed it down to there..

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,351 Views)

That subVI is part of Traditional DAQ, which leads me to a third question: why are you using Traditional DAQ as opposed to DAQmx? Now, as to why that is causing your blinking, who knows. That starts the buffered acquisition. How this is supposed to be used to display something on screen to a PAM is beyond me.

As for this:

my co-worker tells me that it was not blinking before till i moved from serial port RS232 to Visa Serial port. I don't know if that gotta do anything with it, but those are some information i have.
Your co-worker is a bit confused. serial port RS232 and VISA serial port are apples and oranges. One is a protocol, and the other is an API. I'm assuming your co-worker is referring to having used the old serial VIs, and you having changed them to VISA. 

Message 5 of 10
(3,321 Views)

"why are you using Traditional DAQ as opposed to DAQmx"

When I get here, the contractor used that and it was working, so i didn't want to mess with it since I don't know how to do it. but I think we are using the traditional Daq instead of DAQmx, but how can i tell for sure or move the software toward DAQmx drivers instead. 

"I'm assuming your co-worker is referring to having used the old serial VIs, and you having changed them to VISA. "

you are right about that, we used to have the old serial vis, and i have changed them to VISA. Do you think that could be the problem?

the reason why i posted this question because maybe someone will have more insight of what does the DIO_Start.vi subvi do and how to turn it ON-FF because I have no clue what it is doing. I was hoping someone can tell me in brief so that I can  change it to stop the blinking.

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,300 Views)

DIO_Start.vi starts the Digital Input Output task, I would not recommend turning it Off, nor think thats even possible, or your digital task will no longer run.  Also, these are not VISA VI's so switching from Serial to VISA should not have affected this Start VI.

The screenshot above does the following:

1.  Configure a trigger to start the task on

2.  Start the Digital Input Output task

3.  Wait until the task completes

4.  Clear the task from memory.

Doug F

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Doug Farrell
Solutions Marketing - Automotive
National Instruments

National Instruments Automotive Solutions
Message 7 of 10
(3,276 Views)

my manager told me today that no matter what. i have to fix this problem.

i dont know where else to go with this..

is there any more details anyone know?

can i upgrade the DIO_START.VI or anything like that?

change to DAQMX?

Message Edited by krispiekream on 02-20-2009 05:34 PM
Message Edited by krispiekream on 02-20-2009 05:34 PM
Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,232 Views)

can someone help me convert this vi to labview 7.0?

Best regards,
Krispiekream
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,221 Views)
I would suggest you repost this under the PDA forum, where you might have more luck, this doesn't really seem like a LabVIEW question anymore, but a specific issue with the PDA device.
Doug Farrell
Solutions Marketing - Automotive
National Instruments

National Instruments Automotive Solutions
Message 10 of 10
(3,163 Views)