LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIGITAL CAMERA COMPATIBILITY

Would someone be able to help me find which of the following cameras is compatible with
LABVIEW version 7.1 running on Windows 2000 Professional PC:

1) Sony CyberShot DSC-W7
2) Canon PowerShot G6
3) Sony CyberShot DSC-P200
4) Sony CyberShot DSC-V3
5) Canon PowerShot SD500
6) Sony CyberShot DSC-P150
7) Canon PowerShot S70

Many thanks.

Samir.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(5,366 Views)
Samir,

Your question isn't very meaningful unless you talk about what you're trying to do with the camera. Are you interested in transferring images programmatically? Controlling the camera? The cameras you listed seem pretty vanilla, and may not provide many options for programmatic control.

You might also consider reposting your question to the Machine Vision board, where there will be a bigger audience with imaging-specific expertise. If you do that, make sure to be much more specific about what your plans are with the camera.

Regards,
John
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(5,340 Views)
John,

Thank you for your reply.

What I am hoping to do is to control the camera using LABVIEW 7.1 to take shots (images)when I am running an experiment.

Any suggestions?

Samir.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(5,311 Views)
If the camera was on continously, you could use LV to fire a digital output that triggers a solenoid to depress the shutter button.
That would fulfill your stated requirements.

When the LAVA site comes back up, I will post a link to a consumer camera control package I recently heard about.

Do you really need MPixel resolution? Have you looked into analog and digital framegrabbers at all?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(5,300 Views)

@Handasa wrote:
Would someone be able to help me find which of the following cameras is compatible with
LABVIEW version 7.1 running on Windows 2000 Professional PC:

1) Sony CyberShot DSC-W7
2) Canon PowerShot G6
3) Sony CyberShot DSC-P200
4) Sony CyberShot DSC-V3
5) Canon PowerShot SD500
6) Sony CyberShot DSC-P150
7) Canon PowerShot S70

Many thanks.

Samir.

Answer: All. You may need to do some special steps depending on the camera, but at the end you will be able to acquire images from LabVIEW.

Refine your questions: Which of the following cameras will be compatible with my application?

Better if you ask: I need to do this... Would you please give me suggestions on the characteristic/specifications of the camera? Something like that. We need to know what is this.

Regards;
Enrique
www.vartortech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(5,294 Views)
Samir:

Here's the link

http://www.hytekautomation.com/Products/PTPCam.html

But I think the cameras you spec'd out are not in the incomplete list of supported cameras
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(5,284 Views)
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your great efforts.

I am sorry for not explaining the problem in detail. Here is what I am hoping to achieve.

I am doing experimental tests on concrete specimens. While the experiment is running, I would like to get digital images of the specimen. Iam using LABVIEW to collect all my data from the experiment, and it would be good if I could use it to control the camera as well. Later, I hope to process them using an image processing program called PIV. I need to use digital cameras because the precision I need can't be provided with normal analogue cameras. So, I need to make sure that the camera I am using can be controlled by LABVIEW 7.1.

From your replies, can I conclude that I just need to get the drivers and hope that LABVIEW will get my the images?

Many thanks,

Samir.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(5,278 Views)
just curious what type of resolution you need for your experiment? What are you trying to measure in the Images? Also curious as to what the abbreviation PIV is?

before you respond to these questions, I will say that we have had good luck measuring crack propagation in fatigue studies of aluminum using a simple usb webcam connected to a microscope. usb cameras are easy to drive with labview and may be a solution

XCoop
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(5,273 Views)
Thank you XCoop,

The resolution needed should measure 0.013mm. In the images I am trying to get concrete strains. PIV is an abbreviation to Particle Image Velocimetry.

Samir.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(5,268 Views)
cool, Thats (PIV) what I have done for the last 5 years as a graduate student (along with other non-intrusive measuring techniques). Most of my codes (in Labview) are dedicated to post processing PIV, PLIF images.

-webcam idea may work if you don't have a large field of view. sounds interesting

-Xcoop
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(5,249 Views)