From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DETT Generate User-Defined Trace Event --> not showing up in DETT

Hi,

I've been working with the DETT for quite a while now, it's a blessing to have it.

Today, I stumbled over a rather strange issue, when trying to generate user-defined traces from a application: they are just not showing up in the DETT.

So, I have created a dummy VI that's doing nothing but sending the user trace. When using it from the project context, it will not show up in the DETT. Running it from outside the project context, DETT shows the trace.

I have checked VI Server Port, have chosen the right Application Instance, chosen the correct filter settings... I have crosschecked with a older project: user traces are still working correctly there.....

So what can cause a project to prevent traces to be sent correctly?

Cheers

Oli

LV2015SP1

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,279 Views)

Hi Oli!

Have you checked this setting (see attachment)?

Regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,235 Views)

Hi Christoph,

this was the very first thing to do Smiley Happy

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,232 Views)

Hi Oli!

I guess you meant by the last comment, that you have already tried that.

I've attached a demo and a configuration screenshot. Can you run it?

Do other events besides user events get recorded?

Regards,

Christoph

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,225 Views)

Hi Christoph,

thanks for your help. Your example works perfectly on my computer, all the messages show up as expected.

In my project, I had everything activated in the View Filter settings.Remarkably, Queues actions are shown and a Ref leak originating from Actor Framework. But no SubVI calls for example and for sure no user-defines traces

Is it possible to have some kind of weird settings in the process file which causes confusion with DETT?

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,218 Views)

Hi Oli,

not to my knowledge, but it s hard to keep track of every possibility that can factor into that.

You wrote you use the Actor Framework. What happens if you start a new Actor Framework template are you able to trace events in the actors.

I havent used Actor Framework with DETT myself yet, but perhaps that is helpful?:

Desktop Execution Trace Toolkit Support for Actor Framework
http://forums.ni.com/t5/Actor-Framework-Documents/Desktop-Execution-Trace-Toolkit-Support-for-Actor-...

Regards,

Christoph

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,212 Views)

Hi Christoph,

I'm using the DETT on almost every project, also with AF and really had no probems so far.

This project is really the only one, that causing trouble. Since I really love the DETT and it is really helpfull, I'd like to find out what can keep the DETT from working properly.

I'm absolutely willing to share the project with NI, if this helps.

Cheers

Oli

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,204 Views)

Hi Oli,

just for documenation purposes: I will write you an private message with my email. Please send me the project. Thank you.

Regards,

Christoph

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,195 Views)

I just ran into this same issue too. Can see generated user-defined trace events coming from some VIs but not from some other VIs. Can't see a pattern between working and not working ones. It works from a VI and from some of its subVIs but not from some other subVIs of the same VI.

Tried first in LV 2016 pro which comes with DETT. I also have 2020 Community installed. So I decided to add DETT to it to see if it has been fixed and here is what happened:

1. You can't download DETT versions earlier than 2020 unless you have a subscription

2. Installing DETT 2020 removes it from Labview 2016 (pro, which had it included!)

3. The issue with Generate User-defined trace events working in some places but not others persists even in 2020 version of the tool and Labview (at least Community Edition)

4. NI package manager starts bugging about licenses for products I never voluntarily installed like Labview Student and Base editions (why would I need licenses for them if I have pro installed?)

5. Repair in Package Manager will fail after long time after demanding to give it some file from JKI VI Package manager it can't find but which I have no idea where to get either.

So I guess I will have to reinstall Labview 2016 now and all the add-ons and updates and give up on DETT completely. What a ... dissapointment!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(1,812 Views)

Update:

Since DETT is installed as a separate application, the latest (2020) still works with LabVIEW 2016 in the sense that you can still connect to a project in LabVIEW 2016 via VI Server from DETT and (some, as described above) trace events do show up in the DETT window. However, there is no longer Generate User-Defined Trace Event function in the functions palette in LabVIEW 2016 (and it can NOT be found with a search, although it shows in and can be copied from existing code if that code has it). The "Trace Execution..." item in the right-click menu of the My Computer for a project is gone too in LabVIEW 2016 while both above mentioned items are there in LabVIEW 2020.

And the main issue remains, of course: not all user-defined trace events show up in DETT (not from all of my VIs where I call the Generate User-Defined Trace Event function). This is still the case when I try to open/run my project in both/either LabVIEW versions.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(1,799 Views)