From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC Motor Control - AKD Drive and LabVIEW Softmotion

Dear all,

I need to control a DC motor, which basicly has to rotate from -15 degrees to +15 degrees with changeable frequencies/time period.

The motor is used for inducing vibrations, thus the frequency and positioning must be (easily) controlled in LabVIEW.

My setup looks as follows:

cRIO 9082, NI 9514 C-Module, AKD Servo drive and an AKD DC Brushless motor.

Until this point i have used a "Contour move block - repetitive" for controlling the engine using a table, however, this doesn't allow me to configure velocity and acceleration etc. Furthermore, I don't know what units the block inputs are (radians, degrees, units/rotations whatsoever) - See pictures for details on diagram and setup.

Also, i would like the possibility to actually see and/or control a PID-controller using the feedback option.

So, i short, i basicly want to:

- Control the positioning of my DC motor (from -15 to +15 degrees).

- Control the motor using a PID controller (not necessarily needed, but i would like the possibilty)

- Control the velocity, acceleration, deceleration and frequency/time period.

Thanks in advance - looking forward to some good answers! 

Have a great easter holiday.

Best regards,

Jzaulich

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,758 Views)

Noone has a suggest/advice?

Best regards,

JZaulich.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,704 Views)

Hi JZaulich

Have you installed the NI SoftMotion module?

If you do - then you will notice 2 soft front panels, which is a good start for setting up your motors.

See a demo of the set up here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbH1BYt56wU

When you got that part to work then you can start control it from LabVIEW. They do support setting up both accleration, velocity i.e. for the motors.

Br,

Anders Rohde | CLD | Platinum Applications Engineer | National Instruments Denmark

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,665 Views)

Hi Anders,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the softmotion module installed and working - thats not the issue.

However, at the moment i'm using the "countour move" example provided with the SoftMotion module.

It works fine, however, it doesn't allow me to change the system too much and the unit of the input is not denoted anywhere (radians, degrees, revolutions etc.).

As i am all new to both LabVIEW and SoftMotion there's obviously a lot of obstacles.

I would like to model the motor control using a PID regulator with the position as input - is this possible, without making it too complex?

Best regards,

JZaulich.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,649 Views)

Have you considered using the motion tools in the AKD. The performance of the controller in the Servo amplifier is very good and you can simply make a motion task that you activate with a digital in on the AKD. If you need to change the parameters from labview you can do that via Modbus  over TCP-IP.

I have a motion control card and I am giving up up using it. The paerformance is not there and it is much easier to tune the amplifier. It is also more stable and is not depending on the performance of the host computer.

Ulf

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,530 Views)