LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx VI text garbled

This is weird and I'm not sure how to correct it.  The text in the DAQmx menu and the polymorphic selectors has become garbled.  The VI label is readable when shown but nothing else is useful.

DAQmx problem.png

Kelly Bersch
Certified LabVIEW Developer
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(3,940 Views)

Is it just LabVIEW?  Could you have inadvertantly turned on a different Encoding in Windows?  [As in "Show me this in Sanscrit"].  I'd hesitate to say "reinstall" ...  What were you doing when this happened?

BS

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(3,908 Views)

Not only just LabVIEW but just the DAQmx palette and VIs!  I don't use DAQ much so I don't know when it happened.  I noticed it about a month ago but was too busy to try to solve it as DAQmx was not part of the project.

I noticed last week that DAQ mx had disappeared from LabVIEW and reinstalled it last night.  The problem persists.

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(3,904 Views)

What version of LabVIEW are you using?

Look at Why does my LabVIEW occasionally display in Chinese?

It's long, but when you get up to around message 64 you start seeing a solution.  It seems like your problem may be related to this thread.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(3,882 Views)

I have LV 2013.  I vaguely remember that thread.  I'll let you know if it relevant. 

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(3,873 Views)

I remember the "Chinese" problem and this doesn't appear to be related.  The unique thing about this problem is it only affects the DAQmx palette and VIs.  The actual label of the VI isn't affected but the plymorphic selector is garbeled and all the text on the palette is garbled.  I started noticing this when I opened another poster's VI that had DAQmx VIs and found they were garbled.  I tried repairing the DAQmx install but that didn't help.  I then removed and reinstalled DAQmx.  Still no improvement.

Particulars about my system:

NI Developers Suite

LabVIEW 2013  13.02f 32-bit

WIndows 7 Professional 64-bit

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(3,856 Views)

I guess I'll keep poking around to see if I can come up with a solution.  THanks for the suggestion, RavensFan.

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(3,830 Views)

I'm scared to suggest this.  But if you post the VI that seems to have initiated the problem.  I don't know why that would garble a palette in LabVIEW.  I would hate for it to screw up my LV installation if somehow it did.

But it could be a sanity check that a particular VI that looks bad to you looks good or bad to us.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(3,812 Views)

I honestly can't say whether or not a certain VI caused the problem.  I just noticed it once when I opened a VI from a forum post.

It just occured to me to see what the palette looks like in LV2012.  It's not garbled but it's not in english either.  Maybe this has something to do with laguage settings on my machine?

DAQmx problem 2012.png

Kelly Bersch
Kudos are always welcome
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(3,788 Views)

@kbbersch wrote:

I honestly can't say whether or not a certain VI caused the problem.  I just noticed it once when I opened a VI from a forum post.

It just occured to me to see what the palette looks like in LV2012.  It's not garbled but it's not in english either.  Maybe this has something to do with laguage settings on my machine?

Language settings on machine.  That is a good point that may be coming into play.  The image you just showed looks to be German.  For the machine you opened that on, could it be a machine with the German language set?

Your original images showed garbage characters.  But I was suspecting Chinese because I had seen the "why is my LV showing Chinese" before, and I know that for a language like Chinese that doesn't use normal characters, it will show Chinese characters if a font language set is available on a PC, and goofy characters like ones on the ASCII table you never really use much in real life start showing up as replacements for the Chinese characters it can't show.  Or sometimes a PC might just show the small rectangle as a placeholder for the characters it can't draw.

Now I don't know how LabVIEW decides whether to show menues and palettes using German names vs. English names vs. any other language.  But a language setting within the OS itself could certainly come into play.

One other place to look is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\LVProductDLLInfo\12.0.0  There are .ini files there associated with different languages.  But that seems to be more about describing how the package is licensed for any given language as opposed to actually assigning which language to use.

Maybe someone from NI can add some insight to your problem.  Or even one of the other experience LabVIEW users who regularly program in other languages such as German.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(3,782 Views)