From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx Digital Output examples not working with simulated PXI-6509

Hi Everyone,

I have a project coming up that will use a PXI-6509 (92-chan configurable Digital IO) to manage a series of relays.

I wanted to learn how to work with the 6509 so I set up a simulated device in MAX. Specifically I wanted to know if and how I can write a digital waveform in order to take advantage of hardware timing and achieve better timing accuracy than pure software timing (eg. write single points once per loop iteration in Windows OS).

Anyway, when I went to the NI Example Finder for some guidance, I found that out of the box, they don't even come close to working with my simulated device! Can anyone tell me what the deal is?

The two examples in question are under Hardware Input and Output > DAQmx > Digital Output > 

* Digital - Continuous Output.vi

* Digital - Finite Output.vi

Important to note - each of these examples specifically lists the PXI-6509 as a supported device. In each of these examples, I get a series of errors when I set the channels to my simulated PXI-6509 and attempt to run. Eventually it works if I disable these steps one by one.

1) Error -200077, because it tries to set Sample Clock timing which is unsupported

2) Error -200452, because the Sample Clock.Rate property is unsupported

3) Error -200846, because it attempts to write points before the task has started

So my questions are:

1) Why don't these examples work as given?

2) How do I accomplish my goal, which is to define the timing for a digital output waveform? 

I should also mention that I set up a separate test VI which works if I don't define timing and just write a digital waveform, but I'm skeptical of this since it seems to ignore the timing parameters. Eg. I can set the dt to something crazy (1E+300) and it still runs without error. (see attached example)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,118 Views)

Forgot to mention, this is with

LabVIEW 2014.0f1

DAQmx device driver 14.5

DAQmx ADE support 14.2

DAQmx MAX configuration 14.2

MAX 14.5

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,116 Views)

Yes, all examples you mentioned are for the boards with Hardware timed digital input output capability, PXI-6509 is not.

Spec you need to look at is Specifications -> Digital I/O -> Timing -> Software / Hardware

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/13261

With this boards you can generate single point (multiple channels) and cycle through waveform points in the loop with software delay (~1 ms precision in windows, microseconds in real time OS). But you need to look deeper into specs if you want to switch it with 1 MHz rate - data transfer rate, switching speed may be not enough

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,096 Views)