From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQ Assistant

Hello,

I am a beginner of LabVIEW. I am using PCI-6023E to do DAQ. I have a question on DAQmx task.

Method #1:
Start from DAQmx Task Name control and follow the step-by-step prompt, a DAQmx task will be generated, and this local task can be seen on MAX data neighborhood. Then I generate LabVIEW code. Using this method, the DAQ can be successfully implemented.

Method #2:
I directly place the DAQ Assistant Express VI on the block diagram, and use a graph indicator to show the data. This can achieve same purpose as method #1. However, I found no task is generated using method #2, which also can be reflected in MAX data neighborhood.

So, what's the difference between these two method? As I know task is integrated in DAQmx measurement, but why method #2 does not involve a task?

I am a newbie of labview, sorry for my simple question. Thank you very much for your answere.

Derek
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,616 Views)
Hello Dejun,

That's actually a very good question. The difference between both methods is that with the DAQ Assistant you create what's called a Local Task that and with the DAQmx Task name you create what's called a Global Task. Global Tasks can be seen in MAX, Local Task's can; both will get you to the same result though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

LA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,596 Views)
[Correction to my last line]

...Global Tasks can be seen in MAX, Local Task's *can't*; both will get you to the same result though.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,591 Views)
Are you sure global is shown but local task not shown in MAX?

Then, why in MAX data neighborhood > Creat New > ..., there are two options: (1) NI-DAQmx task (2) NI-DAQ Global channel ?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,575 Views)
Hello Dejun,

That's correct...in MAX we have DAQmx Tasks and Global Channels. When you create a Task in MAX, you will create a local channel as well. When you create a global channel, you can add them into a Task. Local Channels are local to the Task, but global channels can be added to any task of the same type that you create.

Before we were talking about global/local Tasks...

For more information about this, I would encourage you to read the following KB:

http://ae.natinst.com/operations/ae/public.nsf/web/searchinternal/def7c64ffe5a525586256cc700762e4a?OpenDocument

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

thanks,

LA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,568 Views)