LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DALI control with Labview

Hello everybody,

I want to control some DALI devices through Labview. The problem is that I cannot find any devices that would allow interfacing the DALI line with a serial or USB port. Actually there are a couple on the market but they can be used only with their dedicated software and the manufacturers do not give any information about them. So before I start searching around with port sniffers and reverse-engineering I was wondering if anyone has ever been dealing with this. I am pretty new in Labview and port sniffing and decoding seems quite hard to me, at least for the time being. I did not manage to find anything in the Internet yet but any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Nikos

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,517 Views)

Hi Nikos,

I've had a search around all our history and past communications but I've been unable to find anyone using LabVIEW to interface to a DALI device, nor was there anything on ni.com/idnet. Looks like you might be in the deep end and thus about to write your own API for the instrument, I'm afraid. If you do have to go down this route try out NI IO Trace, formerly known as NI Spy (which should be installed if you have the LabVIEW development environment installed).

Best of Luck!

Message 2 of 10
(5,476 Views)

Thanks for the reply, though I would really wish it was a different one Smiley Frustrated

It seems I will have to do it the hard way eventually.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(5,470 Views)

There is a German Company "Lichtvision", they have a Rs232 to DALI gateway, contact them: www.lichtvision.de

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,310 Views)

Thanks for the information, although the only one that I can currently find is a complete DALI testing system. Anyway we started compiling our own software module and it seems to be working good (although a bit primitive at this point).

I will contact these guys anyway, they seem quite competent in the DALI systems.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,292 Views)

Hi Nikos,

Did you make any progress. We're facing similar problems. We need to control some DALI LED drivers but cannot find good soft/hardware combinations to make a fully programmable controller. What was your final solution?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,096 Views)

I am about to embark on a mission like this. Any progress?

I may have to write API from scratch. I will enquire with my company about making this open source.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(5,060 Views)

Our company subocntracted this to a another guy but unfortunately is a bespoke code which I got compiled. Unfortunately I cannot offer any assistance as I don't have the source code plus it is IP of the company right now. I (and I believe many others) would appreciate it really if anyone has come up with an open source code, even if it is partially working.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(5,043 Views)

You can use the usb dali mouse with the dalibusserver25.dll

http://lunatone.at/en/downloads

Information about how to open, close and send recieve is in the dali developement kit.

Download dalicockpit to get the dalibuserver25.dll

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,836 Views)

HI,

I'm working with DALI things using LabView

Here's a solution related to to forward frame (control command) generation using NI DAQ card.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Counter-Timer/Buffered-pulse-train-generation-with-cDAQ-9181-and-NI-9474/m-p...

Greeting,

Jukka

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,633 Views)