LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom reusable subvi panel/widget

I am working with an application that performs several transformations of some data stream. I'd like the front panel to show a summary of that data after every transformation. A summary consists of several plots.

I wrote a subvi that takes the data as its input and shows the summary graphs on its front panel. I am using that subvi in several places in the main vi. Is it possible to display the subvi's front panel as a part of the main vi's panel? The only way I could get it to work is by telling the main vi to open subvi's window when it's running, but there's got to be a better way.

Ideally, I would like the subvi's front panel to appear on the main front panel when I place the subvi on the schematic.How would I do that?

Thanks!

Message Edited by f28 on 05-12-2009 06:18 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,085 Views)

Sure you can!

You can use the VI Server function to do it -- I've done it tons of times.  If that doesn't help you enough (check out the help), I'll try to find some of my examples.  Can't find them right now -- must be at another client!

-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,080 Views)

MattBradley wrote:

Sure you can!

You can use the VI Server function to do it -- I've done it tons of times.  If that doesn't help you enough (check out the help), I'll try to find some of my examples.  Can't find them right now -- must be at another client!

I looked in Labview\examples\viserver and it seems to be too sophisticated a solution for what I am trying to do. Basically, I am just trying to avoid having several identical groups of nodes in the block diagram. I am (obviously) new to LabVIEW but it seems like a VI server is a bit of an overkill.

In terminology of regular GUI programming I am trying to create a simple custom widget. Is using a VI server the simplest way?

Message Edited by f28 on 05-12-2009 08:50 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,055 Views)
Yep.  At least as far as I know.  Anybody else got any ideas?
-Matt Bradley

************ kudos always appreciated, but only when deserved **************************

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,023 Views)

Make the subVI into an XControl?

Message 5 of 9
(3,018 Views)

Load the sub-VI into a sub-panel?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 6 of 9
(3,014 Views)

Ben wrote:

Load the sub-VI into a sub-panel?

Ben

Wouldn't this still require multiple nodes on the block diagram per sub-vi instance where a single one should suffice? 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,989 Views)

Dennis Knutson wrote:

Make the subVI into an XControl?

Are XControls the same thing as ActiveX controls? 

This seems like what I need.

I am having trouble finding documentation or examples of this feature (there is "examples\general\xcontrols\Dual Mode Thermometer" but it would be nice if there was something simpler to get started -- are 13 files really necessary to do something this simple?). Can you suggest where I could look for resources on xcontrols?

Message Edited by f28 on 05-14-2009 03:23 PM
Message Edited by f28 on 05-14-2009 03:24 PM
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(2,981 Views)

I am sorry but I am completely lost as to what you are looking for.

Could you please post some images to go with your question and maybe I'll be able to better serve you.

Take care,

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 9 of 9
(2,964 Views)