Custom error code range and error rings/Labview 2013 SP1

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

for custom error codes there are these assigned ranges:
-8999 through -8000
5000 through 9999
500,000 through 599,999

If I create a "Error Ring" in Labview 2013 SP1, then I am able to choose from predefined error codes or I can put in some custom error codes. Curious as I was I chose "Labview" from the dropdown menu and looked up some error codes. I noticed that there are some assigned error codes which are in the range of the custom error codes (see attachement) from 538170 to 538193.

Is this a bug or feature? What is the impact if I define custom error codes with identical, already existing error codes?

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tjack

Thomas,

it seems that you have the ModBus library installed. As this is an additional package, picking "custom error codes" isn't that wrong even if the library seamlessly integrates into LV....

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 2 of 4
(2,938 Views)

Thanks for your reply Norbert_B.

In my opinion you can't declare a range for user created custom errors when NI librarys use up this error code range. This could lead to possible double assignments and no error will be yield if some double assignments occur.

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,916 Views)

Thomas,

having the same error code for different sources is quite common. Therefore, NI recommends to prepend a unique identifier for the source:

error.PNG

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,910 Views)