From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Scale for Ion Gauge HELP

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a Kurt J Lesker 354 ion vacuum gauge that puts out an analog 0-9v representing vacuum pressure in Torr.

I'm having trouble getting the custom scaling to work. I have been trying to use the DAQ assistant custom polynomial scale since I need logarithmic scaling.

The KJL354 manual gives the analog output (log-linear 0 to 9 Vdc,1 volt per decade)

Pressure Torr                    Voltage

1.0E-10                               0.0

1.0E-09                               1.0

1.0E-08                               2.0

1.0E-07                               3.0

1.0E-06                               4.0

1.0E-05                               5.0

1.0E-04                               6.0

1.0E-03                               7.0

1.0E-02                               8.0

5.0E-02                               8.698

As you can see, the highest vacuum at 1^(-10), is zero volts and every volt represents a magnitude of ten as the vacuum pressure decreases to 5^(-2)

since these are negative values inverse of the voltage, I put polynomial scale coefficients at:

Order       Coefficient

a0                    1

+x*a1            10

+x^2*a2          9

+x^3*a3          8

+x^4*a4          7

+x^5*a5          6

+x^6*a6          5

+x^7*a7          4

+x^8*a8          3

+x^9*a9          2

+x^10*a10     1

The scale ends up upside down and representing a small range of exponents, whether I put the coefficients ascending or descending.

I have the pre-scale selected as volts. from what I understand each volt would be the coefficient of x.

Any Help would be apprecieted.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,700 Views)

The manual is here.  Look on page 32 of the pdf and it shows the conversion formulae.  (Hey, I'm not going to do ALL the legwork for you.)  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,687 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Subquantum369

@billko wrote:

The manual is here.  Look on page 32 of the pdf and it shows the conversion formulae.  (Hey, I'm not going to do ALL the legwork for you.)  😉

I Don't know why not?

!1.png

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,678 Views)

@JÞB wrote:

@billko wrote:

I Don't know why not?

!1.png

LOL it was more an exercise about how to go about finding information.  😉

You know, all that good stuff about teaching a man to fish, etc, etc...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,673 Views)

Thanks for the help!

I thought I could do it from the custom scale in DAQ Assistant, but your solution makes more sense.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,660 Views)

@Subquantum369 wrote:

Thanks for the help!

I thought I could do it from the custom scale in DAQ Assistant, but your solution makes more sense.

I don't even want to think about how many times I overcomplicated something and someone else just comes along and says, "Why not just do it this way?"  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 6 of 6
(2,656 Views)