From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crush test acceleration

I am using the PXI-6224 board to acquire voltage readings in a crush test. I want to ask what is the best way to convert voltage to acceleration in labview. Is there any example anywhere?

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,582 Views)

What is the relationship between voltage and acceleration?

Voltage is an electrical value.  It could mean one of a thousand things depending on the type of sensor you are using.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,549 Views)

Easy way: Look up the conversion factor in the spec-sheet or even better in the calibration sheet of the accelerometer and use the math vis to convert the voltage readings into acceleration readings.

If your crush test  involve higher frequencies than about half the resonace of the accelerometer and you want to get better than 10% a model of the sensor with its parameters and  a matched  IIR compemsation filter  would be the way to go 😉   

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,533 Views)

RavensFan : I know that the voltage is proportional to acceleration.

How to convert velocity is what I am more interested on. V = Vo + at.. Voltage is converted into acceleration and adds previous velocity with current acceleration multiplied by the sample rate.

Volkers: How can I find the math VI?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,505 Views)
Why can't you provide the sensor make and model along with the spec sheet? Why can't you find the Math functions? They are add, multiply, divide, etc. Pretty basic LabVIEW knowledge.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,476 Views)

@jamesarhu77 wrote:

RavensFan : I know that the voltage is proportional to acceleration.

How to convert velocity is what I am more interested on. V = Vo + at.. Voltage is converted into acceleration and adds previous velocity with current acceleration multiplied by the sample rate.

If you need velocity the math vi INTEGRATION will help.  Or you use the Sound and vibration toolkit to convert your signals.

Volkers: How can I find the math VI?

By taking a LabVIEW training/(online) tutorial, ... using the HELP function of the LabVIEW IDE???

Cheers.

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,463 Views)
  • Its a piezoelectric sensor with 10 mv/g output and +/- 500 g dynamic range. 
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,446 Views)

@jamesarhu77 wrote:
  • Its a piezoelectric sensor with 10 mv/g output and +/- 500 g dynamic range. 

Well then that's easy.  Measure the voltage and divide by 0.01 your answer is in acceleration (Gravities normal to Earth)  

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,440 Views)

Cheers., I am going to try it. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,429 Views)