LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critical Bug Report: LabVIEW crashes when the Get Plot at Position method is called for a Graph in an unshown Tab page

The attached VI illustrates a bug I have been tracking down for a while. It appears to involve calling the XY Graph Invoke Node method "Get Plot at Position" when the graph is located in a tab that is not the front most (not a hidden tab, just a tab that is not currently shown as the top tab).

The example VI passes a (Inf. Inf) location because that's what my original code was doing, but this is irrelevant. Any other position will result in the exact same crash.

Note that the type of crash is different depending on whether you have a single plot or more in the graph.

The workaround is to use my little VIs here (which do a little bit more as a matter of fact, since it also includes looking at clicks in the legend area). I actually need to check these are the latest versions.

Tested in LV 2015 64 bit, but I suspect that this has been around for a while (I jsystematically replaced the hereforementioned VIs by this method after switching to LV 2015).

Message 1 of 12
(7,033 Views)

Hey X.,

I have reviewed your VI and reproduced the error on my end. I have filed a Corrective Action Request on the issue. Thank you for pointing this out.

Best Regards,

Andy M.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 2 of 12
(6,959 Views)

Thanks. What is the CAR number, so that we can keep an eye on it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(6,946 Views)
After so many years, and graphs and tab controls still causing problems together. There may be a lesson here -- wonder what it might be? Hmmmm...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 4 of 12
(6,917 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
After so many years, and graphs and tab controls still causing problems together. There may be a lesson here -- wonder what it might be? Hmmmm...

Mike...

Chilli can burn on both the way in and the way out?

Message 5 of 12
(6,912 Views)

Hello X.,

Sorry about that. It is Corrective Action Request #550336.

Best Regards,

Andy M.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

Message 6 of 12
(6,882 Views)

There is another problem with the method, documented on the attached VI.

If the plot closest to the Mouse click has a single point, the method returns a Plot Number -1, which of course doesn't allow doing much down the road.

Add an extra point and things work fine.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(6,633 Views)

For info, this bug has been submitted as CAR 587259 by NI support.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(6,596 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

Mike...

IHateTabs

I think that is the lesson in a nutshell.  Tabs are containers, not controls! use them when you need a "Folded Container!"   Graphs are controls designed for Users to observe trends in data.  Tabs and Graphs should never be mixed!  

I know somebody it going to mention the Windows Task Manager-  If things were working right, you would not know that thing existed!  

So, Lesson: If you need a Tab to Graph data.... It is because the user and the data are not understanding each other! Better, debug the code befor shipping it!

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(6,566 Views)

"Tabs and Graphs should never be mixed!  "

Please explain.

I have used tabs and charts in applications since tabs were first available. While I have seen some bugs associated with them being mixed, I aslo found work-arounds to avoid the worst bugs. Short of going through the extra work on using sub-panels, I think they are a great way of seperaiting a high level view of an application from detailed history or for that matter seperating configuration from operation views.

But you make that statement as if there is some fundemental conflict between using them together.

So please explain

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(6,553 Views)