From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an illuminated flowpath on the front panel

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have a VI that controls a series of 3-way valves which switch at particular time point input by the controller.

I have created a panel of leds on the front panel which show which valves are on or off at that point in time (attached .pdf).

I was wondering whether there was a way to draw in the connecting pipes which would light up like the leds showing the flowpath at that point in time, similar to the illustration in the attached .pdf.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(5,311 Views)

You can customize booleans or color boxes or picture controls to achieve this, if you have the DSC toolkit there are pipes controls that do this as well.

Simplist is to make long skinny booleans with 2 different colors one for flow and one for no flow. 

There are many other ways to achieve this but it depends on how much time you want to spend on the GUI.

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(5,274 Views)

As Paul said it depend on how much time you want to spend on the GUI. You can use picture ring that you make transparent and using a graphic sw you draw your path, then make a copy with a different color for when the path is selected. Attached is an example.

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(5,267 Views)

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(5,253 Views)

Flow Pipes.JPG

Anything is possible, here are some custome controls I made, allows for color mixing, moves the arrows at a code specified rate to simulate the relative flow rates and chemical mixing in pipes.

Paul Falkenstein
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(5,250 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ucbeoha

Boolean pipes are built-in, but not on the palette.

Right-click to add or remove segments.

Message 6 of 22
(5,232 Views)

Don't you need to have the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module installed to use Multi-Segment pipes?

Ben64

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(5,227 Views)

@ben64 wrote:

Don't you need to have the LabVIEW Datalogging and Supervisory Control Module installed to use Multi-Segment pipes?

Ben64

The pipes come with the DSC module, but the pipes are just controls, they'll work without the DSC module. However, getting (and using) the "pipes" without the DSC module might be a licensing issue. I don't know. NI?

Note that you can also use Decorations to achieve animation and color changes. It's much more code, but can be made to look nice, and once it's done, it's done. I can provide a simple example, but not at the moment. Anyone else?

Richard

Message 8 of 22
(5,213 Views)

Hi All,

Thank you all for of your input.

I have managed to create a working flowsheet using different colour coded boolean pipes.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(5,199 Views)

"Boolean pipes are built-in, but not on the palette.

Right-click to add or remove segments."

Nice Tip! I wonder what else is built in like that....

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(5,183 Views)