LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an executable file

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello. I am using Windows 7 Professional. I am trying to create an executable. I searched here and am also watching youtube videos plus my online NI training, and following directions. The problem is, all of the examples I could find are using earlier versions of windows. I attached my project as well as a screenshot of what is happening. I have it done however, when I double-click the executable it doesn't open the Vi, it opens the file used to create the executable. I don't know if the difference is because of OS but I followed behind the videos as much as possible, with a few question marks because what I have isn't exactly what the training videos show. I also have LV 2014 and it doesn't match with the training videos either but it seems as though there isn't a major difference between the two. If I haven't provided enough information let me know. The password to the Vi is "2015". Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,564 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author ceilingwalker

Within the executable build specification ("Piezo rig"), go to the "Source Files" tab and add you main VI ("Piezoelectric displacement test exe.vi") to the Startup VIs section.

You shouldn't have any issues based on operating system or LabVIEW version. Make sure that you install the matching Runtime engine along with the executable if you're deploying to a different computer.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

Message 2 of 8
(3,559 Views)

@James.M wrote:

Make sure that you install the matching Runtime engine along with the executable if you're deploying to a different computer.

I am not sure what this is nor how to do it. :manembarrassed:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,535 Views)

@James.M wrote:

Within the executable build specification ("Piezo rig"), go to the "Source Files" tab and add you main VI ("Piezoelectric displacement test exe.vi") to the Startup VIs section.

I did this, that's why I am not sure why it opens the executible properties window.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,532 Views)
Why don't you click on the Help button?

You should create an installer after you build the exe. LabVIEW requires a runtime engine to execute when you don't have the development environment and you can include it when you create the installer.

What is the point of password protecting your VI? The block diagram is removed during the build.
Message 5 of 8
(3,529 Views)

@ceilingwalker wrote:
I am not sure what this is nor how to do it. :manembarrassed:

Like Dennis said, build an Installer as well as the executable. You can google how to do this pretty easily.

I did this, that's why I am not sure why it opens the executible properties window.

The project file that you attached didn't have that option set up properly. This might be because you idnd't include any of the VIs though, just the project file.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

Message 6 of 8
(3,519 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
Why don't you click on the Help button?

You should create an installer after you build the exe. LabVIEW requires a runtime engine to execute when you don't have the development environment and you can include it when you create the installer.

What is the point of password protecting your VI? The block diagram is removed during the build.

What is the point of password protecting your VI? The block diagram is removed during the build. Yes Sir, I found this out after my executable worked. I will disable the password protection. When it opens the LV Vi, it takes half the screen, not full screen however, I haven't searched for a solution to that yet but am working on it now. Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,505 Views)

@ceilingwalker wrote:
When it opens the LV Vi, it takes half the screen, not full screen however, I haven't searched for a solution to that yet but am working on it now. Thank you for your support.

Mess around with your VI properties for Window Appearance. You can make it maximize when opened.

Cheers

Message 8 of 8
(3,495 Views)