From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a USB boot image for LabviewRT

I have installed Labview 8.2 and the "update 8.2.1" for Labview RT Standard version from the web.
I am trying to create a bootable image for a target Laptop PC, using a USB jump drive.
When I run NI-MAX and select TOOLS->RT Disk Utilities->Create Desktop PC Utility USB Drive, a popup dialog appears that says:
   "This utility will reformat a USB drive with a Labview Real-Time boot USB utility for use with a USB boot-capable Desktop PC. Make sure the USB drive is connected to your computer before you continue.
    Do you want to use this utility?"
Clicking on Yes, shows a dialog selection window, with a single entry ="Version 8.2", and an OK and Cancel button.
Selecting the OK button, shows an error popup titled: Measurement & Automation Explorer" with text="Unable to detect USB drives"
The jump drive is 32MB and is visible in WINDOWS Explorer.
WHY will NI-MAX not see or use this jump-drive ?
( I have tried two different jump drives from two different manufacturers)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,469 Views)

Hello,

Does your jump drive conform to the USB Mass Storage Device Class?  What drive letter are you using?  Did you create it by running the command line utility "subst"?

Have you tried doing this on a different computer?  Are the USB ports 1.1 or 2.0?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/D3AD6D3474D09C5E86256E130079C1B0?OpenDocument

Regards,

Clint M

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,451 Views)
Thank you. It appears that NI-MAX will not find the target USB-Jumpdrive when SUBST: drives are present; I removed the two subst'd drives and the utiltity worked.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,443 Views)