From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Loadable Preset Settings

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I am trying to create loadable preset settings for my controls.  I wasn't sure of the best method so I started by allowing the user to save the preset as a text file.  The problem I am having is how to load the presets from the text file.  I was thinking that I could try Read from Spreadsheet, but a few problems/questions arise from that.

Problem #1: My text file has two columns.  For the sake of aesthetics I made it so the data of each column was perfectly aligned (Column 1 contains the name of the control and Column 2 contains the value of that control).  This leaves me with instances where different amounts of space exist between elements in the same row.  I am not sure how to parse the data in each row.  The easiest way I can see would be if i could have an offset per line since my control values are all the same length from the start of the line.  I can't figure out how to implement it, if it is even possible.

Problem #2: If I manage to parse the data in the rows properly, I would be left with an array of control values.  How would I go about loading those values into the controls of the VI.  I am not sure how I would do that from an array.

I have attached a text file with the formatting I described above to give some reference.  The file contains channel names with "inactive" next to them.  Those are supposed to correspond with 0's, which I figured I could convert to numbers before they were loaded into the proper boolean controls.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,166 Views)

Hello tbergen,

I'd suggest taking a look at the MGI Save/Load Front Panel functions provided in the MGI Library- the functions are straightforward and so are the files themselves if you need to edit them by hand.

MGI Library - Moore Good Ideas

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/209753

Regards,

Tom L.
Message 2 of 3
(2,156 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tbergen1

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the response.  I checked out the library and it was pretty helpful.  I ended up figuring out a solution that didn't come directly from the library due to my curiosity.  It is able to read in my files and load the presets to controls.  Thanks for your suggestion!  I attached the VI I made in case anyone stumbles upon this thread with the same problem I had.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,109 Views)