From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create pop-up control

Solved!
Go to solution

Before anyone jumps on me, I want to state that I have in fact googled rather extensively about popups in labview, and I'm still not sure how to do what I'd like here.

I want to create a diagram of the system I'm controlling via LabView such that when someone clicks on a part of the graphic, it will bring up controls/readouts specific to that piece of equipment in a pop-up window.  I don't want the user to have to go into the block diagram of the main VI to do this, but to be able to access it from the main screen.  I saw that tabs may be a good solution, but I'm trying to comply with my boss' desires.  Is there a good way of going about this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,105 Views)

How about inserting a transparent booolean control behind the graphic that requires the pop-up to occur and use that boolean to open the front panel of a sub VI?

Rhys

Message 2 of 6
(5,099 Views)

I like this.  How would I go about opening the front panel for a subVI like that, though?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,095 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Boilermaker10

@Boilermaker10 wrote:

I like this.  How would I go about opening the front panel for a subVI like that, though?

if you right-click the subvi in the block diagram, you can set the subVI node prorperties such as "show front panel when opened".  In this method, the subvi assumes priority and pauses the main vi until the subvi operation has finished (user interface such as a close button to end the while loop in the subvi).

There are other options, such as placing the controls in a container (such as a tab control) and hidding/showing this container when required (achieved with property nodes).  

Or, you could use completely separate VIs and call them by reference.  This approach would be desired if you want/allow multiple control screens open/operational at the same time.  Be extremely careful in this case if some of these VIs share subVI, access the same file, or interact with the same piece of hardware as you will create race conditions.

Message 4 of 6
(5,065 Views)

If you haven't already worked it out, I have attached a VI to show how to do it.

Behind the graphic of the pump is a transparent classis boolean button.

If you click on the pump when the VI is running, the subVI should open.

Have a go.

Rhys

Download All
Message 5 of 6
(5,031 Views)

Thank you, everyone.  This will be most helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(5,017 Views)