LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create multiple references...in order

Say  I have 10 terminals on the block diagram (bootean 1, boolean 2,...)  arranged all nice and prettty, vertically , and in order.  I select them all, right click,  and create references.  All of my references are in order, but reversed (boolean 10, boolean 9, ....).   I've tried selecting the terminals in different orders, etc. but nothing seems to affect the way the references are placed on the block diagram.

'Tis but annoying, but surely someone has a better way?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,867 Views)

I believe they are placed based on the Z order of the controls.  So if you make button 1 and then copied it to make button 2, button 2 would have a higher Z order than button 1.  Therefore, it comes out backwards.  Play around with the Send To Back and Move Back commands.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,858 Views)

It's based on the Z-Order of the controls which is based on the order you created them.  You can "Move To Back" each, one at a time, starting from the first control you made, but that'd be slower than simply reordering the references on the BD.  I thought there wasa Quick Drop plugin that helped in this case, but I couldn't find it.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,853 Views)

Wow.  Good to know and explains the observations.  I wonder what possible use case/rationale is there for having the creation order associated with the Z order.  I guess if you build the references into an array and set properties on them by FOR loop the stuff on top gets set first, but other than that I got nothing.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,840 Views)

@Zwired1 wrote:

I wonder what possible use case/rationale is there for having the creation order associated with the Z order.

It's because the creating uses the selection list, and selections can include decorations, which don't have a tabbing order or a name, only a Z order (and XY position, which could arguably be used at least for the creation feature).

(2,810 Views)