From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create/Simulate a running signal from datapoints out of a spreadsheet or Excel File

Hello,

I would like to simulate a signal, based on datapoints in an Excel oder text file.

I have got about 10.000 datapoints and would like to simulate a real time signal based on this data, for testing my monitoring software. The final goal is to simulate the signal and put it into a subVI, so I can use the SubVI like a DAQ like it would be the real signal. In the end I would like to replace my simulated singal SubVI with a DAQ to acquire the real signal.

I've already tryed a lot different things but have not figuered out the right way to do this.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,334 Views)

Do you mean the simulation data would vary based on some input its constant? Generally we generate signals using the Signal generation VIs

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,327 Views)

Create a sub VI which will read all the data points from the file and then Based on the Time delay you wish (Sampling Rate) Provide the read data points fromthe Loop, which you can acquire as a Simulated data from DAQ

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(4,326 Views)

The simulated signal should vary based on the datapoints in the Excel File. Every 10ms a new value should be displayed. Thats how the real system acquires data.

I tryed to use the singal generation VI but I dont want to generate a defined signal like a sine wave or something like that. The signal should follow the datapoints of the Excel file. Like a sensor acquires data from a process every 10ms I would like to acquire data from the excel file to use this as a simulated input for my monitoring system.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(4,318 Views)

You can read the file and have that in a FGV (If it is not too large) and then read the value every 10ms.

-----

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,310 Views)

Thats what I actually tried, but it did't work like a realtime signal that could come from a real DAQ. Could you please be a bit more precise? I'm pretty new to LabVIEW and programming.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,296 Views)

Please show the code you have developed so that we can check where and how the simulation code would fit in. You can search for Action Engine or Function Global Variable in discussion forum if you want to understand more about those.

-----

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,292 Views)

@ZMK16 wrote:

Thats what I actually tried, but it did't work like a realtime signal that could come from a real DAQ. Could you please be a bit more precise? I'm pretty new to LabVIEW and programming.

Perhaps you should show what you tried and then we can help you figure out where it went wrong.

Even then, being software timed, the timing will not be exact.  It should still be good enough for test purposes though.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(4,289 Views)

Thats the only way I was able to simulate a signal, but thats not working the way I wanted. Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(4,252 Views)

So thats what I have so far. It can display me the chart of the data but it is not like a real signal I can monitor or work with. I think its the wrong approach for archieving a simulated signal from an excel file containing a column of numbers (saved process data).

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,264 Views)