From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash while creating a new cRIO FPGA Project

Solved!
Go to solution

I was hoping that you had found a way to fix or get around the problem, but it looks like it still in your way.

In order to undo the installation of RIO 3.1, you need to go to the Add/Remove Programs>>National Instruments software, and select for uninstallation all software that has RIO or CompactRIO in its name. I wouldn't expect downgrading to 3.0 to make a difference, but who knows. 😃

When you said:

>I've tried to communicate between LV 8.5 and a RT PXI target with the IP of the 9073 cRIO, but LV froze.. and crashed.

That means you just tried to do a Connect operation from the LV Project (no hardware discovery involved), right?

I'm very puzzled about this. What happens if you try to do the same connection or discovery while the hardware is not accessible? Does LV crash or does it just fail saying something along the lines of hardware not available?

Message 11 of 18
(1,540 Views)

Hi Jmota, right now I'm uninstalling the whole LV (8.5 and 8.6) program, which will take a while. Maybe that a reinstallation would fix the problem ?

So right now, I'm not able to try out your idea.

I'll keep you informed.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 18
(1,537 Views)

Hello Kennie,

It's best to remove all software on the cRIO and then to reïnstall.

Easiest to do is to format the cRIO controller and reïnstall the software from Measurement and Automation Controller.

This is explained here: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/6B1343F61905203386257051006573CA?OpenDocument

You can also remove all software from a cRIO Controller using Measurement and Automation Explorer and do a reïnstall afterwards.

It's important that both drivers on your Host PC and the Remote Target (your cRIO controller) have the same driver versions.

Best regards,
Joeri

National Instruments
Servicesg
Message 13 of 18
(1,533 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kennie87

I've removed all of the LV software (8.5 and 8.6) and only reïnstalled LV 8.6. The problem is solved ! The FPGA wizard can detect the cRIO and it's FPGA chassis without any problem.

Thanks to all for your help !

Regards,

Kenneth

Message 14 of 18
(1,504 Views)

Hi Kenneth,

That's excellent news! Glad to hear things are working for you. It is unfortunate that you had to go through that much trouble to get things working (no pain no gain =).

Do you have any ideas on what might have gone wrong with the original installation? Any error dialogs that you may remember? Any Vista security-related dialogs?

For future reference, would you mind listing the sequence in which installed NI's software that took you into the broken state? Something along the lines of I installed LV 8.5 last year as well as Device Drivers version X, and then installed LV 8.6 and NI-RIO 3.1, ...

Thanks.

JMota 

Message 15 of 18
(1,491 Views)

Hi JMota,

I've just wrote a whole text to reply on your post, but there was an error when I wanted to submit my reaction. So I've to type it all again.. Great.

At first I've installed LV 8.5 Development Kit (DVD NI Labview Core Software (English), DVD NI Labview Extended Development Suite and DVD NI Labview Control, Simulation, and Mechatronics Software + Embedded Systems Software) and activated the product with the key. Then we bought the cRIO-9073 controller with integrated chassis and DO-module NI-9472. We had to install LV 8.6 in order to meet the required specifications for the controller, so I've installed the evalutation DVD of LV 8.6 including all the drivers and activated the whole thing with the key from LV 8.5.

As you can see, I had 2 LV versions on my computer, and probably that was causing the crashproblem.

I've set up both programs (8.5 and 8.6) with administrator privileges, so I don't think there were any security conflicts caused by Vista. If so, the problem still wouldn't be solved, cause I didn't change any security settings at all.

The only error dialogs I've got were the ones here above (see my previous older posts): only crash dialogs with no errorcodes.

After I had installed both LV versions, I was wondering if I had the wrong NI-RIO version software on my computer and on my cRIO controller. So I've upgraded the NI-RIO software too the most recent version (version 3.1), which includes:

Support for LabVIEW 8.6.1
Support for LabVIEW Real-Time 8.6.1
Support for LabVIEW FPGA 8.6.1
New - CompactRIO Backplane Support (cRIO-9111, cRIO-9112, cRIO-9113, cRIO-9114, cRIO-9116)
New - CompactRIO Controller Support (cRIO-9022)

But after the installation, I realized that the NI-RIO version (Real-Time 8.6.1, FPGA 8.6.1, etc.) didn't match with my LV version (8.6). So at first I wanted to remove this NI-RIO version and install the previous one. But then I decided to remove the whole LV package on my computer. Which eventually was the best idea.

After the removal, I've only installed LV 8.6 and it's drivers. And now I'm not having the annoying problem anymore.

I'm sorry for my English, it's not my native language ;).

Regards, Kenneth

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,480 Views)

Hi Kenneth. Thanks for the detailed information.  I don't see anything wrong in the steps that you had originally followed, so I have no idea what could have been messed up. In theory, LV 8.5 should be able to coexist with LV 8.6, but you never know. Good thing is that you now have a working system.

Kennie87 wrote:

I'm sorry for my English, it's not my native language ;).

Don't apologize for this, because if you do, then I have to apologize too since my English is probably no better than yours 😃  It is not my native language either (or neither?)  😃

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,451 Views)

Okay, so I know this is an old thread, but I ran into this recently and I wanted to share what I did to fix it.  My error is with multiple IP addresses.  If you have wireless on your laptop active with a wired connection, it causes the problem with setup and crashes.  Disabling one of the netowrk adapters worked just fine for me.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(542 Views)