LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crash: "Access violation (0xC0000005)"

Hello,

One of our programs has crashed (crash of LabVIEW Runtime).

The reason was an "Access violation (0xC0000005)" in the LabVIEW Runtime.

Because it was an Error of the LabVIEW Runtime, I can not log the Error. This Error occurs only very seldom > than every 3 weeks.

Attached is the error report and a Screenshot of the Error Window.

So I have no Idea how to locate the error.

1. What can cause this Kind Error?

2. How can I locate the error cause?

3. Can National Instrument isolate the error?

Thanks

Sletrab

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,787 Views)

These types of crashes are very conserning, and difficult to isolate (as you already have discovered).  Here's what I've done in the past.

Memory monitoring.  Built into Windows 7 and newer is the Performance Monitor.  Not sure where it is I always click Start then type Performance Monitor.  It lets you log data over time and I usually set it up to log my application (or LabVIEW.exe) and look at different memory.  There are all kinds of memory from private, to public, and several variations in between.  This it self doesn't fix anything but may help in predicting when it happens.  If memory increases at some rate and it always dies around the same value it might help.

If you can predict, and reproduce the issue, try changing the code to see if the issue goes away, or happens faster.  For me I made my logging routine run twice as fast.  So for all data I log I log it twice.  If the issue happens sooner it is likly something in the logging routine.

After that I did a binary approach where I would disable parts of the logging code until the issue when away.  Turns out it was a bug in the TDMS logging routine that I could isolate and post to the forums.  NI agreed and fixed it in an update, and also had a work around until the update went live.

Another thing I've tried is to upgrade to the latest everything and see if it behaves differently.  I would make an image of the harddrive as a backup, then upgrade to the latest LabVIEW and drivers for everything.  Then try again.  In a few cases things were fixed by upgrading, and the cost of upgrade was less than the weeks it would take for me to track down issues that may or may not be my fault.

EDIT:  Oh and giving the crash report to NI is a good place to start.  Not sure what they can understand from it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,768 Views)

You might also try and see if the timing of the crashes seem to correlate with other things going on in the system like virus scans or automated cleanup/backup routines.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,744 Views)