LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverting LV6 to LV2013

Hello everyone,

I'm doing a school project which involves the upgrade of a Labview program in Labview 6 which runs on windows 98 OS. Right now, I'm very lost as to where to start as the Labview program hierarchy is massive. I have attached a snapshot of the VI hierarchy. Basically, this program is controlling 4 devices and monitoring 1.

I don't even know where to even begin. I have tried copying and pasting the entire VI in LV6 and open it in LV2013 running on window 7 (without any devices attached) but there seems to be a problem with the lvdaq.dll and nidaq32.dll. The lvdaq.dll issue can be resolved by just finding the missing file and link it in the prompt, however the issue with nidaq.dll remains. I looked it up online and found out that this is due to the traditional daq and daqmx problem. 

One of the devices is connect to NI PCI 6025E card, 2 of them to GPIB, and one of them is connected to a serial port.

My questions are:

1) What are the first steps that I need to take (this includes materials that I should read up and get familiar with)

2) How do I know if I should upgrade from my traditional DAQ to traditional DAQ (Legacy) or DAQmx, and how does these mechanisms work.

3) I am also very unsure of how I should tackle the "how does the program work" part, since this massive VI was just thrown to me. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,588 Views)

Continuing the attached images

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,585 Views)

So you are tasked with upgrading code that was written in LabVIEW 6 to something a lot more modern (2013)?

First of all, the NI DAQ (now called Traditional DAQ) is no more.  You will need to change every DAQ operation to use DAQmx.  This is by no means a simple task.  You have to know exactly what the old code was trying to do and then do it in DAQmx.  The APIs are nothing alike.

None of the other drivers scare me.  I would recommend changing from the GPIB and Serial interfaces to use VISA.  VISA is an abstraction layer so that you don't need to worry about exactly what interface you are running on.  This makes life a lot easier down the line when you decide to change from using a serial port to a USB or Ethernet.  The code won't care.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,552 Views)

Thank you for your reply. 

I know about the DAQ traditional to DAQmx. But I don't know about APIs. Could you tell me more or direct me to some help on this? I did google it but all they had were codes or whatever they are. 

Also, I'm not too sure if one of the devices can be supported by DAQmx. The card interface is NI PCI 6025E. I did a check but there doesnt seem to be one like this, unless NI PCI 6025E is the same as NI 6025E? this is the link for checking: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/6910/en/ 

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,486 Views)
What api do you need help with? Quite frankly, you should be familiar with both traditional daq and DAQmx so you need to have both installed and read the on-line help. Once you understand in detail what the old program was doing, you can translate that into the different functions of DAQmx. You may find that you can actually simplify the program.

Yes, the pci-6025E is the same as the 6025E.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,484 Views)

Falcondiaz wrote: But I don't know about APIs.

An API is how you access the functions.  Application Programming Interface.  What I meant by the APIs are nothing alike is that the functions available for Traditional DAQ and DAQmx are accessed in totally different ways.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,445 Views)
There's a white paper on upgrading from Daq to Daqmx, which is very enlighting on some differences.
/Y
G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,438 Views)