From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counter in FPGA - reset

Hello,

I have in problem in LV FPGA.

Basically, one singe cycle timed loop detects positive and negative edges of 2 digital signals and counts them.

A second loop runs at (let's say) 1kHz and acquires analog data. Every X times I get analog data, I want to get my counter value since the last time I got it and also the time since the last time I got it, in order to get the period of the singal later on.

So basically, I want to measure analog signals at 1kHz, and the period with a rate at about 100 Hz.

I attached my VI, which has 2 problems:

First, my counter does not seem to work! And I have no idea why, since it seems pretty correct to me, I hope one can help.

Although the boolean indicator if flickering, I get 0 all the time if I place an indicator to the current counter.

My second question: I would like to reset my counter every time I get the current value in by slower loop, but I do not know how to do that.

My try was to create a local variable "reset" (boolean), that becomes true every time the slower loop reads the counter value. In my fast loop, of course, I reset the counter to 0. However, I dont know how I should set the reset-boolean to "FALSE" after the counter was reset. If I do that in the fast loop, I get an error, that I cannot access the local variable twice within one cylce.

Anyone an idea?

Thank you for any comments.

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,577 Views)

Hello Jack_W,

to the first question the counter are in parallel but they sould be in serial

Unbenannt.PNG

for the second i´m looking into the code.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,527 Views)

Hello Jack_W

to the second question you can use a boolean LED and ony if a change from low to high happend reset the counter.

Setting and reseting from the LED could be done in the slower loop.

Unbenannt12.PNG

Hope this helps.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,509 Views)

Thank you for your help, that helped a lot! The counting as well as the reset seem to work (better) now.

However, there must still be some issues:

As I said, I want to measure analog signals with a certain rate and with a certain factor slower read the counter values to calculate the period. This factor I determine by the  "fast/slow"-control

When testing the program, I attach a constantly rotating motor with encoder of which I want to read the rotational speed.

When I set "fast/slow" to 10, I get a realistic frequency that stays rather constant (which is fine since I cant be sure the motor rotates exacly constant).

When I stop the program, enter 50 for "fast/slow", the frequency increases quite significantly, so there must be something wrong with time timing or counting in my code.

Do you maybe have an idea?

Thank you very much

Jack

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,474 Views)

I tried this with a frequency generator, 2kHz. The higher the ration "fast/slow" is, the closer the measured value is to the actual value. So with the ratio 10 (being 100 Hz), I measure 1800 Hz. With 20 I measure 1900 Hz and so on.

Thanks for any help

update:

When I do not reset the counter but simply take the difference between two times of reading the value, I mesure the exact frequency that I should.

So it must have something to do with the reset I suppose...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,465 Views)

Hello Jack_W,

have you tried do read out the counter directly without a minus from the previous iteration value?

Also please try the reset on different positions like in a frame after, or in the frame before where the timing is.

i think in this situation the position of the counter reset makes the bahaviour.

Hope it helps.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,446 Views)

Hello Jack_W

the VI.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,438 Views)

Thanks for your help, I tried to set the "reset" true in a frame, meaning first reading the current count value, than resetting. However this did not work better.

Unfortunately, I cannot open the vi, as I am using LV 2013 SP1, could you maybe save it for that version?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,413 Views)

Hello Jack_W,

the VI for 2013 and yes the position of the reset makes the behaviour. I have put the set to false in the timing frame.

best regards
Alexander
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,410 Views)

Hello Jack_W,

the VI for 2013 and yes the position of the reset makes the behaviour. I have put the set to false in the timing frame.

best regards
Alexander
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,410 Views)