From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not open a VISA session to "ASRL1::INSTR". VISA error code 0xBFFF0072

Whenever i run my serial port using serial read write program using VISA, it works fine for some time (few minutes), as i can write a command and read the response. After few minutes i am unable to read the response.

When i open the MAX and check the device settings for serial port, i am unable to validate the port and i get following error

If i restart the computer and run the MAX again i am able to validate it. However, once i go back to the program in LV, again i have same issue, the code runs for few minutes and then hangs.

I am using serial to USB connector (Prolific driver).

I read in some forum that substituting prolific with FTDI migh help.

Is the problem essentially with my serial chord or am i missing something in my code.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,719 Views)

Just get an FTDI adapter, less headache...

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,699 Views)

@Ravi_Sarma wrote:

Whenever i run my serial port using serial read write program using VISA, it works fine for some time (few minutes), as i can write a command and read the response. After few minutes i am unable to read the response.

When i open the MAX and check the device settings for serial port, i am unable to validate the port and i get following error

If i restart the computer and run the MAX again i am able to validate it. However, once i go back to the program in LV, again i have same issue, the code runs for few minutes and then hangs.

I am using serial to USB connector (Prolific driver).

I read in some forum that substituting prolific with FTDI migh help.

Is the problem essentially with my serial chord or am i missing something in my code.

I have seen this before myself and Blokk is right get an adaptor with FTDI chipset in it.

Chances are your Prolific USB to Serial adaptor has a counterfeit Prolific chipset in it and it is never going to work reliably.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=155&pcid=41

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,683 Views)