From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copied whole project and VIs - Can't use shared variable nodes in the copy, but can in the original.

Hello. I have spent a long time searching but to little avail.

I'm new to a project that uses Shared Variable Nodes to pass data around. I have created a copy of the whole project and subvi's to work on without upsetting the original, which we need to keep operational.

In the copy I can't use any shared variable nodes. I can drag 'blank' ones off the pallet, but I cant double click and select which shared variable I want to assign to the node. If I right click the blank node and go to properties all the options are blanked out, so I can't choose a path to select a shared variable either.

If I use a VI with an existing shared variable from the original it works fine until I do 'anything' to the node, then it breaks the wires and displays a little red explanation mark.

I can modify/add/edit shared variable nodes in the original, just not the copy. Why is this? I have checked the licence manager and I can't see DSC in there - is this the problem? If so why can I work on the original unimpeded?

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,421 Views)

Some questions:

• Is the Original Project and the Copied Project on the same PC?
  • What version of LabVIEW are you running?  On what OS?  Be sure to specify the "bit-ness" of both the OS and LabVIEW.
  • In the Original, I assume you defined the Shared Variables in the Project.  If not, how did you define the Shared Variables?
  • What specifically is the difference between the Original and Copied Project?  Different Machines?  Different Project Names?  Different Folder Names?

Sometimes seeing what you've done is helpful to us in figuring out what is going on.  I recommend that you compress the Folder holding the Original Project (and all of its files) and attach the resulting .ZIP file for us to examine.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,380 Views)

Great questions from Bob.

I won't speculate too much on what's causing this until we have some more info, but do you have the project file open when you are trying to create these shared variables? This is a requirement, see http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4679/en/

Something else you might find useful is the 'Zip file' method for copying all project files, which can be found below:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/166ECBD0AB87C320862571080082AA0F

Best regards,

Leah

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,361 Views)