LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert regular Labview code to Labview FPGA

Hi,

I am new to Labview and Labview FPGA. I somehow manage to write a Labview code to get some sensor data from an Inertia Measurement Unit (IMU) via a serial port (RS-232). This code also interpets the data and verifies that. Now, I have a compactRIO 9074 and a serial (RS232) NI 9870 module. I want to implement this same code in the cRIO using a this serial module. Is there anyway I can directly convert it, to do this. Or is there another procdure to achieve this. I am completely new to cRIO and FPGA. Please help me out. I have attached the vi that I have written to do this without the

Thank you

Siddhant Shah

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,544 Views)

Hey,

You wont be able to use the same code directly on a FPGA.

I would suggest to have a look at the 987x examples (use Example Finder under the LabVIEW Help menu) to figure out how it works and then implement your code for the FPGA.

In generall you have a Read and a Write Node available to build up your communication. The overall settings (boud rate, data bits, ...) will be done in the modules property page.

Hope this helps,

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,511 Views)

Ok I will try that out. 

One more thing. Is FPGA programming different from regular Labview. I ask this because I have a whole bunch of loops, case structure, xor's etc. 

Would I be able to implement all of that in a similar way as regular labview or is there a different style of programming

Thank you

Siddhant Shah

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,503 Views)

Well, how should I say...on a FPGA there is on OS, you implement functionality in hardware, so yes, there is a difference.

The following link is a Developer Zone Tutorial which might give you some help: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3272

Christian

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,493 Views)