From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Voltage to Pressure

I am using a PMD-1208LS device from measurment computing and have all the drivers installed, I am unable to use the MAX program to detect any devices for DAQ, however, I can use the VI's supplied with the device so I can get an analog input reading from my pressure transducers. I need to know how to convert my input into a usable number (i.e. Inches of Water) on my graph and display. I have a 24VDC power supply operating the transducers, and the transducers are 0-5VDC output.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(53,707 Views)
What pressure transducer are you using?  Does the manual for it give the voltage to pressure conversion?
Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(53,696 Views)
MAX Is the driver for NI products so MC Boards will not show up (as far as I am aware).  If you are getting a voltage, you just need to look up your calibration scale from the transducer producers manual.  Hopefully it is linear and there is not much ot do but put in the pressure unit/volts and the volt offset into y=mx+b.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(53,694 Views)

Pressure transducers output a raw signal that corresponds to a value in an engineering units.  These vaules are usually imprinted on the pressure transducer (i.e. a -15 to 15 PSI operating range with a 0-5V output).  The scaling is usually linear, which means you have to use y=mx+b equation for scaling the sensor (m = span, b = offset).  You have to find the span and offset (calibration values) using the range limits and output limits.  Scale the signal in LabVIEW using the calibration values where "x" is your raw signal and "y" is your usable signal.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(53,682 Views)

To do the convertion from a sensor voltage to pressure I some times use the lpolynoimical interpolation vi... I attach an example of a sensor 0.5v - 4-5v to 0-150psi.

I too use the same vi when the sensor isn't linear, some temperature sensor that I'm using result to have a very nonlinear curve, so I simply charge the input and output

points on the array tables and works perfectly.

I don't know if this is the best way to do it...but it works for me Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(53,657 Views)

I know this is an old thread however, I want to apply the same method as u used but I can't find the polynomial interpolition vi.

------------------

Found it!

Thanks.

Message Edited by KowdTek on 02-13-2009 12:08 PM
Message Edited by KowdTek on 02-13-2009 12:09 PM

One Step At A Time, Maybe Two...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(53,281 Views)

Having similiar issues with converting voltage to pressure.  I am supposed to get a 0.1 to 5.1 Vdc output but I think I am getting results in mA.  I have read the all of the post pertaining to using y=mx+b and I can figure that out but I am not getting correct readings.  I am using cole parmer model (12 to 28 VDC; 0.1 to 5.1 VDC output) Pressure range is 0 -3000 psig.  Can someone help me!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(52,551 Views)
can you post the exact model #? i'm using few from CP. you might want to post ur code too.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(52,536 Views)

Put a 249 ohm resistor across the output and it will give you a .1 - 5.1 vdc out.

Goodluck bud!!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(52,522 Views)

thanks KowdTek

The cole parmer pressure transducer model is EW68074. I am using a SCXI 1327 T-Block (voltage attenuator connected to SCXI 1121) which I believe is supposed to read voltage directly. Should the pressure tranducer return the output in mA or volts?  Unless the SCXI 1121 model is converting back to current then I am doing something wrong!  Should I bypass the attenuator to remove the 100:1 divider at the beginning?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(52,497 Views)