From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Visa resource remotely

Hello,

I am learning LV using a virtual machine that I remote into (host).  I want to start communicating to a DAQ device at my desk, which would be the remote machine.  Do I just need MAX installed on my desk PC (client)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,626 Views)

Probably the most straightforward way of doing this is to install all your software on the remote computer (including LabVIEW) and then remote into the remote PC and use the connection as a dumb terminal.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 2 of 5
(2,608 Views)

I'm a little confused by terminology.  How many physical machines are involved?  And how many "total" machines.  You mention four machines, some of which could be the same:

• A machine with keyboard and mouse that you use to access other machines.  If I were naming this, I would call it the Host.
  • A "DAQ device at my desk", which you call the "Remote machine".
  • A PC "at your desk", presumably connected to the DAQ device.
  • A Virtual Machine "that you remote into (host)".  I have no idea what "(host)" means here, nor is it clear if the VM is running on what I called the Host (the machine with keyboard and mouse), on your PC at your desk, or "really remotely" on a server somewhere.

Part of (my) confusion comes because the DAQ Device at your desk could be a USB-6002 that plugs into a USB port on your PC, or it could be a cRIO system running its own OS that connects via TCP/IP, and can be considered a computer on its own.  The other is the nature and location of the VM.

But to answer your question -- MAX is used to communicate with hardware.  You run MAX from a PC (either a "Host", meaning here "the PC to which my keyboard is connected" or "remotely", meaning via a Remote Desktop setting) and it "talks to" the hardware that it can "see", which mostly is hardware plugged into the PC on which it is running, or into the network connected to that PC.

Are you getting as confused as I?  Here's an example.  My desktop PC (on which I am currently typing) is connected to a bunch of hardware, both directly plugged in and available via TCP/IP.  MAX, running on my PC, can "see" this hardware.  I can "remote" into my PC from home and run LabVIEW code on this PC that will also "see" the hardware, even if I don't have either LabVIEW or MAX installed at home (don't worry, I have both).

Bob Schor

Message 3 of 5
(2,589 Views)

Thanks Bob,

I admit, my question was pretty confusing.  The situation is that I don't have LV installed on my desk PC.  I'm using LV on a machine that our IT department calls a "virtual machine" that I remote into.  So nothing is physically connected to the VM.  I was wondering if there was a way to make the remote LabVIEW control something over the network, say, toggle bits on the USB or serial bus on my desk PC.  Normally, we would remote into the PC in the factory and run LV that's on a PC out there.

But as someone else just said, I think I'll just push my boss to get me LabVIEW at my desk.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,581 Views)

The most common license allows you to install LabVIEW on three different machines to specifically address the scenario you are envisioning.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,567 Views)