From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling PCI-1422 with Labview instead of MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Experts,

I want your help in one of my problem. I have a camera from Sensors Unlimited which is SU-640 1.7 RT-D and a NI parallel card PCI-1422. I can use and acquire data with MAX from the camera but I want to operate,use and acquire images from the camera using LabView. Is there any way of exporting or using the camera with Labview instead of writing a fresh code in LabView? 

Does LabView offer any support or reads automatically from PCI-1422 or any possible solution that I get the block diagram code for using this camera in LabView.

Please let me know, reply.

Any help or suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,378 Views)
Besides the examples that come with LabVIEW and the installation of the driver, there is the Vision Builder toolkit if you intend to do inspection - http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/207759
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,347 Views)

Thanks but again it requires writing and struggling with coding and experience on  LabView skills.

Just wondering something easy. I tried one of the example and it worked actually but I am trying to get more ideas or options to make it look better and impressive.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,176 Views)

@Nitai wrote:

Thanks but again it requires writing and struggling with coding and experience on  LabView skills.

Just wondering something easy. I tried one of the example and it worked actually but I am trying to get more ideas or options to make it look better and impressive.

You want something and easy and doesn't require any effort on your end?    Hire someone who knows how to program in LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,172 Views)

Sorry to say but I don't want to sound rude. I think I didn't write it well. I did it and the program is running anyways and I made it. The only thing I wanted to ask if there is something which makes the work look more impressive and fast with less effort instead of no effort. As I need to make some more changes in it to make it more impressive in terms of things it can do and that's why came to ask for help here.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,156 Views)
I don't want to sound rude either but I find your question very ambiguous. You have not said what you have done nor exactly what you want it to do. Saying 'more impressive' is not at all a technical description of your goals. One of the things you must learn as a student in a technical discipline is to define the specifications and on this forum, how to correctly ask a question.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,147 Views)

Hello Dennis, 

I am using this Lab view example as a reference to use my Camera with PCI 1422 i.e Help -> Find Examples -> Hardware Input and Output -> Vision Acquisition -> NI-IMAQ -> High Level -> HL Grab.vi. 

Now, I can use my camera through labview but I am unsure as how to save the images from it. When I use labview I can see a video running from my camera on the screen which means it's acquiring the data but somehow or other it's just neglecting it. Can you tell me as how can I save those images continously with each image having a different and individual name into a folder.

I have used the example as it is so please help me for that.

I also see that in the Vision and Motion palletes > files there are some options to save the image but how to use them or to connect them I am not sure. Could you please help me in that.

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,035 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Nitai

Hi Nitai,

You can use the IMAQ Write File function to save images to disk. Please see the below link for an example.

IMAQ Write File 2 VI

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370281M-01/imaqvision/imaq_write_file_2/#IMAQWriteJPEGFile2

IMAQdx Grab and Save Individual Files

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-19537

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,013 Views)

Thank you Frank. I did it but I have one problem. When I run this program and I choose JPEG as the format, it gives me an error of Invalid image type, however it works perfectly fine with PNG and PNG with VISION Info types. 

I am not sure why it's behaving in that manner.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,001 Views)

JPEG and PNG are the formats for single images (or "pictures"), what you'd get with a "Snap".  Videos are typically .avi or .mpeg, what you'd get with a "Grab".  Sounds like you are trying to save videos in a format meant for a single frame (picture).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,985 Views)