LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling Kepco Power Supply via VISA

Hi there, I'm currently trying to communicate with a Kepco High Voltage Power Supply (BHK 400-.4MG) 

http://www.kepcopower.com/support/visa-bhk.pdf , here is the instructions on the functions to control it.

My goal is to step the voltage until I see current draw and then halt the program. I would do this via Lab view but the driver and vi support is for ancient versions of Labview. Instead, I wrote a program using the functions included in that link to communciate it via VISA but the issue I have is I'm not sure where to send the file to.

Through the NI Communicator it shows sample code yet the send string is one line. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,001 Views)

What is the actual problem you are having? If you want to implement the protocol for communicating with the device yourself, you will need the manual which gives the structure/format of the commands you can send to the device - you can then use VISA to send these commands to the device/read the response.

If you've got some code you've written, upload it to the forums so we can take a look. A link to the datasheet giving the serial commands would be helpful too.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,993 Views)

The datasheet is linked above (first post) with the commands.

I want to send a file of commands at once but the communicator seems to only send a string at a time yet the "show sample" shows a full program being sent, I'm curious as to how to do this.

Example code: ViByte ps_type; ViSession BHK_Session; Kpbhk_init ("GPIB0::6", 1, &ps_type, &BHK_Session); //init ps Kpbhk_Set_Volt_Curr (BHK_Session, 15, 0.002); //voltage and current Kpbhk_OutputOnOff ( BHK_Session, 1); //output on

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,990 Views)

Those are the functions names from the C API - not the GPIB/Serial strings that you need to send to the device (which the C API does for you). For example, I would expect to see a section on baud rates/termination as well as the formats of the string commands.

Again - you should post your LabVIEW code so we can see what you're actually doing.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,970 Views)