From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constrained Non-Linear Optimization

I am attempting to use the Constrained Non-Linear Optimization VI to solve a simulation problem.  Basically, I have an array of heating units, each with their own efficiency curve.  Using that curve, and the energy cost, I am trying to determine what rate to run each unit at to match the heating load, while minimizing the cost to provide that heat.

I have attached the VI in question.  The VI seems to function most times, howeve in this case, with a load of 1250000 BTU/Hr, I get an error, stating that the input matrix is singular.  While doing some reading on these boards, it seems like the matrix might be singular because in this case there are two identical units in the system, and the efficiencies don't vary that much, but that doesn't explain why the VI will find a solution if you change the load by 50 BTU/Hr.  Does anyone have experience with this solver?  Or with this type of problem...  Perhaps I am using an overly complicated method to get my answer.

"Determine Units to Run" is the main vi, the rest of required subvis.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,968 Views)

I apologize, that version has no data in it, so it would be hard for anyone to see what I was talking about.

Default values in this version will be a little more helpful.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,959 Views)