LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering the 4 hour CLD/CLA exam achievement and fulltime job.

Considering that during the CLD exam a programmer programs a small/medium application in 4 hours.

And a CLA architects a large application in the same time.

I understand that the pressure at one of these exams is about 250%.

During your job you would take more time to develop the same application,

because you cannot be at 250% all the time and you want to minimize errors.

I also know that a lot of time is used to get the specifications, talk to the client and make

a document that would be the equivalent to the exam paper. 

What does a LabVIEW programmer do in a 40 hour work week, considering the exam is only 4?

I'm a CLD. Looking to get my CLA, but I have no colleagues who use LabVIEW and no peer-review.

I need information.

Thank you and kudos will be given. Smiley Happy

--------------------------------
The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(3,402 Views)

@Heinen wrote:

[...]

What does a LabVIEW programmer do in a 40 hour work week, considering the exam is only 4?

[...]

It's not as easy as that; you'd have to define a "LabVIEW programmer" first.

I'm a LabVIEW programmer in the role of a Manufacturing Test Engineer.  Most of my time is spent supporting production testing, some is spent upgrading it and a little is spent making new stuff.  I couldn't imaging programming all day without getting my hands dirty with hardware and test samples.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 23
(3,372 Views)

Hello jcarmody

If I'm correct then your usage of LabVIEW is supportive for your job discription, not your main task.

There are full-time LabVIEW job out there. I just want to get a feel of this all.

Thank you for replying, sir.

--------------------------------
The Enrichment Center is required to remind you that you will be baked, and then there will be cake.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(3,368 Views)

Very simple Smiley Wink, once the project grows beyond ~1000 VI's it start to live it's own life.

And the programmer's job is just to expand and support it, so it still manageble.This is true for any programming language.

Michael.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV 8.2 at Windows & Linux

Message 4 of 23
(3,297 Views)

Hello,

This is a difficult question to answer since most CLAs are project managers so they don't code most of the time. I'm pretty sure if a CLA could code 40 hours that would be way more complete than a CLA test

Rodéric L
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 5 of 23
(3,235 Views)

@SectorEffector wrote:

Considering that during the CLD exam a programmer programs a small/medium application in 4 hours.

You're kidding, right?   The CLD exam has you build a "toy" application.  No equipment or drivers, pitifully simple UI, no data collection or analysis.  The time pressure of only four hours is the only complex part of it.  It's an exam question, not an actual real-world application.  And the kind of techniques one needs to rely on to do the CLD in four hours are often poor ones.  In fact, the very first post I made on NI.com was a criticism of the CLD sample solution for the Traffic Light.  

A real "small Application" is more like a week or two of work, IMO.

Message 6 of 23
(3,210 Views)

@Rodéric wrote:

This is a difficult question to answer since most CLAs are project managers so they don't code most of the time. I'm pretty sure if a CLA could code 40 hours that would be way more complete than a CLA test

I have to disagree there.  Most of the CLAs I met are coding a large majority of their time.  I'm a full-time LabVIEW programmer.  I also have to manage some programs, but coding is the large majority of my time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 7 of 23
(3,177 Views)

I think it really depends on your responsibilities in your current job.  I've had my CLD for over 3 years now (and been a LV programmer much longer).  Over the past 5 years or so, my programming time broke down roughly like this:

• 2008 - 70% of the time writing LV
  • 2009 - 50% of the time writing LV
  • 2010 - Maybe 40% writing LV, 10% Test Stand, and 20% Matlab (go figure)
  • 2011 - About 30% LV, 20% Test Stand, and 20% Matlab
  • 2012 - Very little programming and a lot of hardware engineering and project management
  • 2013 - Moving back to more LV
-------------------
Greg
Certifed LabVIEW Developer
Message 8 of 23
(3,156 Views)

@Rodéric wrote:

Hello,

I disagree with this statement. Every CLA at my company also codes, and I don't think it's a stretch for that to be similar at all Alliance Partners.

However, I could see that being the case at larger companies.

Edit: obviously didn't read that Crossrulz had already input his two cents, which is essentially the same as mine.

Message 9 of 23
(3,145 Views)

@Rodéric wrote:

Hello,

I wish this was the way it was in my fist LabVIEW job, but the architect was too busy with her own projects to do much managing of mine.  Even now, in my second LabVIEW position, the architect doesn't lead the team (of Test Engineers), but that's probably because the organization doesn't understand software engineering and doesn't want the extra layer in the hierarchy.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 10 of 23
(3,132 Views)