LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection beteween micrometer from mitutoyo and Labview.

Hi! I have a micrometer from mitutoyo and need the signal to show up in my labview code. I figured the signal comes in as a com-port signal or keyboard signal, and I can't find out how to get this signal into my labview code. I can view the connection between the micrometer and the computer in NI MAX, but I can't read the signal. I don't want any additional program or cables. Any suggestions? 

Best regards, Oda.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,990 Views)

Hi Oda,

when the connection is provided as COM port you should start using the "Basic Serial Read and Write" example VI. (Just use the ExampleFinder!)

And of course you need to read the programming manual of your Mitutoyo device…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 7
(4,970 Views)

Thank you for your reply! 

The user manual that followed the micrometer, says nothing about the parameters we have to put into the serial read example VI. We have to set parameters such as bites in the example VI, to match the micrometers. Is the programming manual different than this, and if so, how do I acces it? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,946 Views)

Hi Oda,

I would look up for information on Mitutoyo's website or just call their support team…

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 4 of 7
(4,936 Views)

Mitutoyo uses a special connector on their devices, that makes use of the interface without their cable a bit difficult. Since they are quite expensive high precision measurement devices (unless you bought one of the cheap chinese copy cats) I would hesitate to start doing some DIY soldering on the device itself. So not sure it is a good idea to try to interface these babies to a PC without at least their cable.

The actual Mitutoya data format while being some sort of serial data stream has nothing to do with RS-232 or any of the other common PC serial port interfaces. It is a proprietary one way TTL level interface where a digital clock of no more than 5kHz and the a 52 bit data blurp on the data line. To read that in you would either need to program a digital IO card from DAQmx, use a SPI or similar programmable interface, or connect it to a myRIO, or some Compact-RIO digital port. Alternatively there exist various more or less detailed descriptions on the net how people used an Arduino board to do the bit banging. A little TTL logic with a 52 bit shift register would work too.

This seems to be an early version of a the DigimaticCode Output I/F Specification that should be the one used in the Mitutoyo devices.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 7
(4,932 Views)

Thank you for your answer. We hoped to be able to do this without purchacing these expensive extra cables! We called the mitutoyo support here in Norway, and they also wanted us to buy this cable. And we're students, so...

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,920 Views)

Hi Oda,

And we're students, so...

… you should go to your professor and beg for some budget!

🙂

Best regards,
GerdW

Message 7 of 7
(4,888 Views)