cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting to NI 9862

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I'm having troubles connecting to my NI 9862 High-Speed/FD NI-XNET CAN module.

I'm using the cDAQ 9134 chassis, which is compatible with the NI 9862 as listed in the Overview section of the CAN module.

The chassis works fine and is shown in MAX and the device manager.

The CAN module on the other hand isn't shown in either MAX or the device manager and is not detected as an interface when I try to create an XNET Session.

I already checked the forums for common mistakes, but couldn't find anything that applied to my setup, so here's what I've got so far:

My module is plugged into the chassis and hooked up to my frequency inverter with which I want to communicate over CAN.

It is also supplied with an external Voltage of 24V.

The needed software that is installed is NI-DAQmx 15.0.0 as well as NI-XNET 14.5 and NI-XNET Runtime 14.5.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,065 Views)

Hi Sam,

I don't see a mistake, the Versions fit and support each other. Could you check a different Slot. And unplug the Frequency Inverter and only connect the power supply to the module. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,022 Views)

I had already checked a different slot..

But as you suggested I have now checked every slot with a disconnected inverter and only the connected power supply and stil it didn't work.

What I stumbled upon now is, that since the first time I opened the MAX I get a message that the MAX Database was not closed properly.

I'm not the first one to use this device, so I am not sure where this message is coming from.

I checked ni.com/info for "MAXTerminatedServiceError" as it tells me to and I have tried the solution described there, but the message still pops up.

Could this be part of the reason why it is not found?

Also, could you tell me what the two LED's on the NI9862 module are for/what they indicate? I couldn't find it in the manual.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,989 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sam1312

Hi,

could you post a screenshot of the message? Did you also do the MAX Database Reset?

What Is the Process for Resetting the MAX Database? - National Instruments
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C7480E856987FFF862573AE005AB0D9

For the LEDs, check the XNET Hardware and Software Manual page 63:

NI-XNET Hardware and Software Manual - National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/372840h.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,986 Views)

Thanks so much!
The database reset solved the problem, my module is now visible in MAX.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,983 Views)