From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring two of the same model of DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Good morning, NI community.

I am a mechanical engineering intern who has basic experience with LabVIEW.

I would speak to NI directly about this question, but I do not have a service contract and my company wants me to figure this out before purchasing LabVIEW.

I am hoping someone has experience regarding my question, and I would greatly appreciate the help.

We were intending on purchasing an expansion board for our DAQ (OMB-USB-2416), but unfortunately it is on back order and would not arrive in time.

So, I need LabVIEW to read AI voltage from two of the same model of DAQ, which would total to about 30 channels.

Is this possible with LabVIEW?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(2,948 Views)

As long as the boards are configured as different device names, you shouldn't have any problems communicating with multiple boards.  I do it all the time.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 9
(2,939 Views)

Thanks for the reply, crossrulz. And I like your The Cheat avatar!

So I'll have the boards configured as different device names using their software, but how exactly will I go about setting up the block diagram in LabVIEW?

I have the ULx driver installed and have built vi's using the one DAQ board we have already, but there is no terminal on the subvi to select different devices.

The ULx includes a "ULx task property node" with a "DeviceName" option. Would I create a string corresponding to whatever I name the device and then wire the reference out of the property node to the task in of the "create virtual channels" subvi?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(2,928 Views)

I just spoke with NI and they did a good job at not giving me any detailed information about how to wire the block diagram for this type of application. Smiley Frustrated

I am still rather inexperienced with LabVIEW, and I am having difficulty figuring this out.

Right now I have one DAQ board set up and the physical channel control box on the front panel allows you to select "Dev0/Ai0" - "Dev0/Ai31".

I assume if I have another board configured I'll have the additional option of "Dev1/Ai0" - "Dev1/Ai31", but I need to be sure before I give my boss the go ahead to purchase another DAQ board.

Thanks to whoever is able to give me advice.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(2,900 Views)

Since you are dealing with ULx drivers for the boards, I recommend you go talk with somebody from Measurement Computing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(2,892 Views)
NI does not make your board or the driver so asking them about either does not make much sense. Have you talked to measurement computing? Do they have a simulation mode like NI where you could try some code without the actual hardware?

With DAQmx, you would simply have two separate Create Channel functions and subsequent two separate tasks but measurement computing could be different.
Message 6 of 9
(2,891 Views)

I am currently waiting to get a call back from Measurement Computing. I am sure they will be able to give me detailed information.

Considering your suggestions, I fiddled around with LabVIEW and the DAQ's configuration software to try to simulate another board, but was unsuccessful.

I really appreciate your replies, crossrulz and Dennis.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(2,886 Views)

@evannfernandez wrote:

I really appreciate your replies, crossrulz and Dennis.

Appreciation is given with Kudos, and marking posts as solved when applicable.  It is a system for reputation which goes beyond post count.

Message 8 of 9
(2,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author evannfernandez

Measurement Computing claims that the "physical channels" dropdown will auto-populate once both devices are configured.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,828 Views)