LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure a Real Time Project for a Dynamic IP

I have found tons of information on configuring a Real Time target for DHCP. Our Real Time target is a PXI Chassis and is configured to do just this. My question is regarding the Real Time project.  While developing I need to do a search for the RT target's  IP address and correct the target's IP address in the project explorer when the PXI Chassis has been shutdown or rebooted. Is there a way to configure the project to find the PXI target with a dynamic address automatically?

Someone over a year ago had a similar question before, but it was not solved:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=295488

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,481 Views)

In project explorer, point to the RT target by its name rather than by its IP address.  That generally works.  I have seen some issues where even though my host PC knows the RT targets name and its dynamic IP address, some portion of the shared variable system doesn't always resolve the name properly.

The best choice is to use have your IT department create a static IP address for your RT target.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,466 Views)

I tried, but get an error "Target cannot have an empty address" if I try to delete the IP address and have the name only in Project Explorer.

I will work with IT to get a static IP.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,450 Views)

That seems strange.  I am using it by name for a cFP target.  (I don't have any RT PXI targets).  Are you sure you put the name in the IP address field?

Here is what my project/target properties look like.  Note that is the name I assigned to the cFP through MAX, and I can ping to it by that name in a command prompt.  I gave the target the same name within the project

Message Edited by Ravens Fan on 08-28-2009 12:21 PM
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,448 Views)

I poorly assumed that because Name was listed that I did not need to put in the name again under IP Address/DNS Name, so I did just now copy the name (as found in MAX) to IP Address/DNS Name.

I did not receive errors and went to deploy the settings. It tried to connect for a good 10 minutes, but got locked up, so I clicked"Stop Waiting and Disconnect".

Weird. I guess a static IP is the only way to go.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,437 Views)
Have you tried to ping the device by name from a command prompt to make sure you get a response?
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,431 Views)

When I ping the name in the command prompt I get "Ping request could not find host.."

When I ping the Dynamic IP address I get a reply.

To test this of course I have to revert back to the IP address instead of the Target name because I cannot deploy the settings in Project Explorer with the Target name listed in the IP field.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,421 Views)

It is possible that the DNS server hasn't stored the name of the PXI with its IP address.  So this is no longer a LabVIEW question but a networking question.

You could try again later (few hours, a day) to see if that gives the DNS time to gather the name.  Another option is to put the name and IP in the hosts file on the PC.  The only problem with that is if the IP address is dynamic, then you will have to change the hosts file whenever the IP address changes.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,414 Views)