LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration string keys in LabVIEW 2009 changes

I am trying to write a configuration file to be used by other (non-labview) software.

However the LabVIEW 2009 'write sting key' function adds quotes around string keys, even if the 'raw string' mode is used, this makes this tool USELESS, and I could only finde a little note in the online help

When VIs write to a configuration file, they place quotation marks around any string or path data. LabVIEW also supports single quotes around values in .ini files.

I could not find it in the Upgrade notes.

Could we get an option to remove the quotes?

Ton

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(8,841 Views)

Dear Ton,

thank you so much for your post. This problem was brought to the attention from our R&D department, hopefully they will add this soon to the writekey.vi . There is a work arroud for now; you can add the attached VI to the library;

1. Download the attached VI and place in the following path: <Program Files>\National Instruments\LabVIEW\vi.lib\Utility\config.llb
  2. In the same folder, double-click NI_LVConfig.lvlib
  3. Right-click the Write folder and add the above-mentioned VI.

Hopefully this will bring you further,

Best regards,

Martijn S
Applications Engineer
NI Netherlands
Message 2 of 10
(8,796 Views)

This was reported to R&D (CAR # 204992) for further investigation.

Message 3 of 10
(8,722 Views)

As of LV2011SP1, this issue has not been fixed yet. The workaround works fine though. Thank you very much for posting this.

However, a minor issue is that after copying the file into the specified location and restarting LabVIEW, the added vi does not show up in the File I/O >> Configuration File VIs menu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(8,459 Views)

Hello pbuerki,

It is possible to edit the Palette as you want --> http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/lvhowto/creating_and_editing_a_pal/

Hope this helps!

Cédric | NI Belgium
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(8,426 Views)

Somehow this still hasn't been addressed.  Please add a version of the Write String VI that doesn't add quotes OR change Add Key.vi to be public so that we can call it directly.  Editing the LabVIEW IDE isn't really an option when there are multiple developers, VCS, and long life cycles.  Thanks.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(8,146 Views)

fwiw, I've attached a drop in replacement for Write Key (String).vi that doesn't write quotes or escape characters to the file.  I just tore out all of the privately scoped subVIs from Add Key.vi so there's one monolithic diagram with no library dependency.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
TestScript: Free Python/LabVIEW Connector

One global to rule them all,
One double-click to find them,
One interface to bring them all
and in the panel bind them.
Message 7 of 10
(8,135 Views)

@LabBEAN wrote:

Please add a version of the Write String VI that doesn't add quotes OR change Add Key.vi to be public so that we can call it directly.

You  may have to file a Feature request in  the  LV IDea Exchange,  so that this gets  more visibility to NI R&D.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(8,118 Views)

I had the same issue, MATLAB does not like the quotes.  A right click option on the write VI would be nice.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(7,385 Views)

in LabVIEW 2020 this is still not added, so I'v added a post to the idea exchange.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Remove-quotes-in-the-Configuration-quot-Write-Key-vi-...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,642 Views)