cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compiled VI behavior in Developer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello.

I was recently working on a VI that would automatically update VIs for users when a change was released.  As a safety protocol, I made sure that this VI did not run the way it was supposed to in developer mode so as to prevent my VIs from being replaced with compiled VIs...until one day, something tragic happened.  I forgot to enable this disable.  (weird right?) Anyways, I'm not entirely sure I updated my developer VIs with compiled VIs.  Is it possible to open and edit a compiled VI?  The reason I ask is because I can no longer probe my VIs.  But I can open and edit.  What's up with that?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,554 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DailyDose

What do you think is the difference between a "compiled VI" and "some other VI"?

You should check the VI settings >> Execution. Is "Allow Debugging" checked?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,551 Views)

I'm also a bit confused, are you able to upload a VI that we can see what you are talking about?

Was the front panel/block diagram removed?  Is the VI locked? or Password protected? Or debugging turned off as Norbert mentioned?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,544 Views)

Well, I opened a VI that I know to have been built and compiled and it allows me to open it in developer, but is apparently impossible to view the block diagaram.  I guess anyways.  Looks like the debugger issue.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,537 Views)

If you cannot open the block diagram (and there is no option for this in the "Windows" menu), you have VIs with removed block diagram. This can only be done using the application builder and running for instance a build option called "Source Distribution".

The goal for this feature is to provide functional VIs without providing the block diagram, so the uncompiled code. That uncompiled code is also called "Intellectual Property" (IP). So this feature protects the IP.

But removing the IP of course disables you to review and continue to work on the code.

Sidenote: Each VI file includes the compiled code for the VI unless you selected the option "Separate Compiled Code from Source File". So there is no difference between "Compiled VI" and something else. Each VI is compiled automatically if you are working in the developer environment and recompilation is required.

Hope you got some source code control in place in order to revert the mistake by re-deploying correct versions of the VI files.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,526 Views)

@Norbert_B wrote:

This can only be done using the application builder and running for instance a build option called "Source Distribution".

This is not 100% true, and sorry to correct you if you already know this but VI Server can remove block diagrams programatically too.  Also building an EXE in the application builder removes block diagrams by default, but settings can be changed so it doesn't.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,517 Views)

Hehe, that's why i wrote "for instance".

You are correct that i left out the optional parameter "Without Diagram" of the "Save Instrument" method (class: VI), but i have never seen one using that for a long time. In fact, i always tell developers to remove BDs only via Build Scripts as this is the "most conscious" way to perform this by the developer.

Norbert

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,514 Views)

I have a tools menu item for it, but I think I've only used it once or twice.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,507 Views)