LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compare to disk -- what is this?

Solved!
Go to solution

While using the Compare utility with a LabVIEW Project in Version 8.5.1, I noticed (farther down on the Tools menu) a "Compare to disk"  entry.  "Aha!", I thought, "something that will let me compare a VI with another one without having to load both into memory!".  So I clicked it, and nothing (obvious) happened.  I then tried to search LabVIEW Help (with "Compare to disk"), can't find anything.  Tried searching on the Forums, still coming up Empty (lots on "Compare", too much to wade through each one ...).

What is this tool?  Where is it described?  How does one use it?

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,201 Views)
Are you sure you're not talking about the Tools->Compare->Compare VIs... menu item? If not, then it sounds like some third-party added item, such as perhaps something related to a source control system.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,191 Views)

Nope.  The Tools/Compare choice is in the fourth "group" of the Tools menu (in LabVIEW 8.6, and probably also in 8.5.1), and only appears if a Project is open.  The Tools/Compare to Disk option that I asking about is in the larger seventh "group" that begins with "Find VIs on disk" (its the fifth member of this group on my PC).

I do have Tortoise SVN installed on my PC, but I don't have any specific LabVIEW "hooks" in it (I'm not using PushOK).  I did play with LVDiff at one point, but that was well before I installed 8.6, so I'd imagine (but could be wrong!) that this would have no effect.

At NI Week 2008, this summer, I asked to have a "Compare to disk" option added "to some future release", and someone in the audience said "It's already there!".  I didn't have my PC available to look for it, and forgot about it until I noticed it today and tried to use it.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,185 Views)

I have LabVIEW 8.6 on a virtual machine. I do not see a Tools -> Compare to Disk menu item near the "Find Items" menu item, regardless of whether I have a project open or not.

P.S. The Tools -> Compare -> Compare VIs... menu item is visible regardless of whether you have a project open or not. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,169 Views)

Hmm.  You're right about not needing Project to see Tools/Compare.  I forgot that I rebuilt my PC about a month ago, so any software that I loaded on longer-ago than a month doesn't apply -- this makes Tortoise SVN the only likely possibility.  However, I just looked at another PC that has a "minimal" build of LabVIEW, and noticed that the Tools menu looks very sparse.  I'm wondering if the Compare to Disk option comes as part of a package that I'm installing (RealTime, Reports, etc.).  I'll do the experiment of adding more things to this install and see if Compare to Disk pops up -- if so, this is a clue where to look for an explanation.

BS

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,146 Views)

Hi Bob,

I have to agree that I cannot find Compare to disk anywhere.  I have attached screen shots of the tools window on both LabVIEW 8.6 and 8.5.1.  I have also never heard of a function like this.  It must have been installed by something else but I am not sure what.

Adam H
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,120 Views)

It's under Tools on my 8.2 PDS. Choosing causes what looks like a smal vi FP to flash up on the screen briefly and then it disappears. I have some OpenG and MGI tools installed, not sure if it may have come from there.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,102 Views)

I've recently been trying to "recreate" this feature, starting with a "clean" PC that has very few applications on it (and does NOT have Compare to Disk yet).  So far, I've been installing multiple LabVIEW features, and still don't see it.

I'm beginning to suspect OpenG -- I notice several additions to the Tools menu, many of which have an OpenG "flavor" (i.e. they have OpenG as part of the name).  I haven't added the OpenG packages to this machine, as it is currently not on the network, but will try to do so early next week.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,087 Views)

OpenG installation, almost certain.

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,073 Views)