From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact RIO storing parameters on power cycling

Hello,

We have recently installed a compact RIO with two fill ether cat extension racks; the total system has about 300 sensors/controls. The RIO is controlling both extensive data logging and a control application for a Thermal plant. We traditionally as a company have deployed many applications similar to this using PLC’s and plc’s have what’s called retentative memory available for storing SCADA parameters or any parameters in the memory,

We are using labview as the SCADA and shared variables hosted by the RIO for all the SCADA parameters to be used by the Plant. Now the problem we have with shared variables is they will not store the updated values from the SCADA when the power is cycled to the RIO, they will go back to the default values setup in the RIO

With the retentative memory in PLC,s when the value is changed the controller will remember that value on power cycling, is there any way of creating or setting up shared variables in the RIO so their last set value is stored and remembered on power cycle. I know I could do this with dat files and reading and writing out arrays of the shared variables values to the compact Rio hard disk, but it seams like a lot for what is a basic control requirement, for a controller to remember previous values on power cycling of its critical operating parameters.

Any advice would be greatly accepted,

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,453 Views)

Hi,

Networked shared variables are intended to be hosted on a computer that will have the minimum down time. If you expect to have your cRIO go down often, I would suggest hosting your shared variables on a server that will not go down. Also, if you do it that way, you could easily set up some sort of memory on the server to reload the values in case the server goes down.

Jon

Message 2 of 2
(2,402 Views)