cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact RIO NI-9082 Configuration in MAX Unable to Save

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to set up a new cRIO the NI-9082. Currently, I am able to see the cRIO under 'Remote Devices' in MAX and view configurations. However, two errors are occurring:

1). When I try to change setting such as hostname and press 'save' a warning pops up saying "There was a problem saving the settings to the target. Make sure your hardware is powered on and hat it is connected to the network". I've attached an image below.

2). At the same time, when I try to install software onto the cRIO by right-clicking 'software' and selecting 'add/remove software' and run the 'LabVIEW Real-Time Software Wizard', another error pops up: "Error: the harddrive n the remote system is either full or encountered an I/O error." I've also attached an image below.

The cRIO is powered on with 'DISABLE RT' toggled OFF. It is connected to the network via an Ethernet cable. This connection looks fine however I look at it. (The Ethernet port connection light is flashing continuously indication activity etc.) It is from the PC which is connected to the same network, that I am trying to interface with the cRIO. The cRIO displays the correct IP address assigned through the network.

Apologies if I haven't supplied sufficient information to solve this problem, but if anyone might be able to explain why I might be encountering these two problems under these circumstances, help would be extremely appreciated. Thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,192 Views)

Hi Yawei,

This error you are getting because there is some conflict or issue in you IP configuration.

On bottom tab click on network setting you will see no network adapter found.

Connect the device directly with PC using cross cable and assign IP based on network and then reboot system and again connect to your network, now it can work.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(5,170 Views)

Check out this KB: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/abe4bc247e8ac9bc8625734e005cab42?OpenDocument

The status of the target is Connected - Running so there probably aren't IP conflicts.

In my experience what you are seeing is usually Windows Firewall blocking the communications, disabling it may help!

Regards,

Craig H. | CLA CTA CLED | Applications Engineer | NI Employee 2012-2023
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,152 Views)

Hi Himanshu,

Thanks for your reply! But the IP configuration seems to be alright as the IP displayed under the network settings tab is the correct IP that the IT people assigned for my cRIO. This cRIO (NI-9082) has 2 Ethernet adaptors. Eth0 for network connections, and Eth1 for local, To-PC connections. For my purposes, unfortunately, I need the system to be communicating through the network, thus Eth0 is currently Primary, as shown in the attached MAXNetworkSettings.JPG. However, I still get the same errors as mentioned in my main post, which is what I am stuck at.

Regards,

Ya-Wei.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,138 Views)

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your reply! The firewall was an initial issue, so I had asked an administrator to disable it. This allowed me to proceed to my current stage where I am able to see the cRIO and its configurations in MAX; but encounter the problems mentioned in my main post. At least, I think its been disabled. In the attached FirewallOFF.JPG, everything does look turned off. However, in the attached FirewallMAXUnticked.JPG, MAX is not 'ticked' as an 'allowed program'; but when I proceed to add it, the error message shown pops up confirming MAX is already on the list of exceptions. If the firewall isn't the problem, do you have any other ideas what might be? 

Regards,

Ya-Wei.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(5,130 Views)

Hi Ya-Wei,

Unfortunately you can only configure targets in MAX through the ethernet port that is set as primary.

The LabVIEW Project should work through the second port though.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,115 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Yawei7

It looks like the main reason I was having all these weird problems was because the compact RIO NI 9082 can come shipped with windows 7 and LabVIEW 2012 SP1 preinstalled and run as a stand alone computer so all I had to do was plug in a VGA cable to a screen and a USB mouse, Keyboard and a eithernet cable for network connection and it started fine. Now developement and deployment all happen locally on the cRIO. It was a bit silly of me, so hope that helps someone!

Regards,

Ya-Wei. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(5,046 Views)

Hi Ya-Wei,

I'm confused how you ever saw the 9082 in remote systems in MAX if it was running Windows at all!

Glad you got it working,

Message 8 of 8
(5,023 Views)